24. doesn't it?

She fell on the sofa, tired again. He followed closely and replicated her. None of them bothered switching on the lights. The celebration was a bigger deal than what they had anticipated. The silver jubilee of Founders had been the talk of the town, and they could see why. The grandeur was shown off very well and the event brightened up with the presence of those investors. Healthcare was healthcare, business was business.

"Harsh uncle would've loved something like this at Birlas."

"Your doctor bro would skin him alive."

He threw back his head and laughed. She was right. He could certainly imagine two bulls locking horns and playing Power Pamplona among themselves. She ran her hands over her face, drained by all the smiling and polite conversations. Formal parties were the worst, minus the good-looking people. Accept it or not, everyone looked good wearing formals.

She had tried her best to convince Dr. Walia to drop the idea of her being there at the party. However, if he said it was an important event, then it had to be one. The old man, no matter how eccentric he was, would never throw around words just like that. He was rather insistent that she should bring that young man from weeks ago as well. Her denial only led to the accusation that she was hiding the gem which was hers.

That is how the two of them ended up there, both in black. Minimal and simple on the outside, an absolute contradiction to how they were on the insides. Getting rid of the blazer, he had his sleeves rolled and the top button let loose. Less suffocating for sure. Stretching his arms, he yawned. Seconds later she did as well, and that got the duo chuckling for two minutes straight.

"Aarohi?"

"Hmm?"

"Nothing. Just... nothing."

Turning her head sideways, she gave him a brief glance before looking away. Shaking her head, she got herself some water and passed another glass to him. She waited rather patiently for him to gulp it all before asking, "What? What is it?"

Running his hands through his hair, he spoke feebly, "I... I had something to ask."

She placed herself on the table in front of him, "You seem to be very curious these days? But teekhe, ask away."

"Why Mumbai?"

She stopped playing with her hair strands on hearing the question. Tucking it back into her bun, she clasped her hands together. Why now? She bit the insides of her cheek, to stop anything unwanted slip out of her mouth. Her eyebrows furrowed at that, as she struggled to coin an answer.

"Mecca of surgery. Job security. With the way things were, I was not sure if I would be permanent at Birla Hospital."

Vague but no lies. Her relations were not the very best with that family, even after marriage. A certain Birla was at odds with her and she knew that she didn't have to elaborate that. The elder three were alright, just some taunts here and there. But with the hospital's best surgeon, that was not the case. She was having a tough time now to not spit out all the profanities she had in mind for him. But if she did, it would be in front of the wrong person at the moment.

"I was not talking about now. I was asking about your MS."

That surely got her attention. She knew exactly what he was talking about. For a candidate who had done so well in her PG exam and with a good rank, she could've settled for the state's best college. It was a known fact among all that competing for a home-state seat was easier than getting one through all India quota. And she got it as well, a seat in the state's best college in the first list itself. But he did not know that.

The praises she got from her mentors today were justified. She loved it when her talent and skills were recognized. Appreciated. Perhaps the only things for which she did seek validation. And of course, he must've caught onto that which was said amidst all that. Smart.

Chewing her fingernails, Aarohi Goenka had desperately waited for the third list to be out so that she could get a good seat out of Rajasthan.

"I wanted to get away from home."

She was honest. She wanted to stay away from her family, away from the whole circus which toppled her life upside down in a span of few months.

She was honest.

Partly.

"No other reason?"

"No."

She looked away, speaking up after few seconds of awkward silence, "Goodnight."

Jumping off the polished wooden surface, she rushed her way back. The fingers which wrapped around her wrist stopped her tracks. His shook his head. Determined to get the answers he deserved. The fingers traced down to her palm, taking it into his hand. The hold was gentle, she could break free if she wanted to. But who could guarantee that it wouldn't break off everything else they had?

Her back stuck to the wall, understanding that there was no going back this time. He left her hand, not a single word spoken. The eyes locked and he knew that he was sinking. Again. The depth in those blacks were such that even in the darkness they stood out. Uncertainty tangled with certainty. The definition of a mess. Her gaze never lowered, even if she wanted to. The intensity was still the same, his browns too had never changed.

Her fingers reached out for his light stubble and his pressed on that spot at her back. No one knew who leaned in first. With their noses brushing and lips just inches away, they stilled. Eyes shut, he hesitated. It was his whisper which echoed.

"Will you stay this time?"

Tracing along the very familiar skin, with her eyes closed she could reach out to the curls of his hair nearing the neck. Hands weaving into it, she brought him closer. Wrapping her hands round him, she muttered into the kiss.

"Yes."

No need to be told twice.

Mirroring their younger selves, they carried on with the rush. Skin on skin, they were back to the circle where it began. Lost inside the sheets were they, but evermore lost in each other. The night was surely young for them.

Comes around, doesn't it?

-