10. seeking

Rubbing her aching neck, she asked the nurse setting the machines and instruments.

"Sister, are we done for the day?"

"Yes ma'am, all the appointments are done."

Having only consultation for the day, she sat back, closing her eyes. She was not asked to assist in any of the surgeries today. So unless there was some emergency or impromptu request, she had nothing to do. Certainly they had no shortage of staff. Her shift was till seven. She had an hour left till she could be officially off duty. Consultations done, rounds done.

Gulping down the water in the glass, she massaged her cheeks. Talking did hurt. Especially when you had to convince your patients that you are the doctor here, not them. Self-diagnosis was the trend these days. Of course, the 9-10 years she put into her academics was a total waste.

One hour won't make much of a difference. Informing the nurse to call her or page her if required, she was walking home already.

Speeding along the corridor, she was tempted to try out the good looking coffee. Then again, she knew that the coffee only looked good, the taste was not worth it. Founders being a luxury hospital, offered commendable services for sure, but subtlety was not their style. Everything was a bit too extra. Too grand. A familiar mustache coming up in her line of sight, got her putting up her ideal mentee act.

"Dr. Aarohi? I was looking for you."

"Yes sir?"

"Would you like to scrub in today? A minor surgery though."

Never refuse an attending doctor's request. And if it's your mentor, forget it. Any excuses you pick can be easily identified by them. So how do you escape? Easy. Throw someone else under the bus.

"Sir I would love to," she started out, watching her professor beam. Quickly she added, "But I think I should let the JRs have this opportunity. Best let them be involved in a minor surgery, not risky. Right sir?"

Deep in thought, the old man beamed at his student's suggestion. Or thoughtfulness, as he put it. Agreeing, he asked her to send the junior resident she had in mind to the OT as he set out to prepare. Asking the nurse to send the one who had ruined her sleep, she moved out of the hospital with a skip in her steps.

Everything was looking so good after such a long time.

°

Dunking half of the Parle-G into his chai, he watched the soggy half of the biscuit tremble in his hold.

"Careful. If it drops, the chai becomes yuck."

Settling down on the balcony floor next to him, she dried her hair using the towel. Pushing the biscuit packet towards her, he watched her crunch it. He knew staring was rude. But when he chose to look away, that was not the only reason.

"I thought you were incapable of cooking anything in the kitchen chamgadar?"

"The only thing Akshara bhabhi taught me to make. Want some?"

"Sure."

Two minutes later both of them sat there, sipping their teas. Barring the noise of children playing downstairs, the stillness which swept over was pleasant. The evening sun glared at them with occasional breeze providing some relief.

"How was work?" he asked, something had to be asked and he was not the one to start a conversation with the weather being the topic. Her drowsy reply of "Fine," ended all the possibilities of the opening he gave. His eyes shifted between his cell and the balcony rails.