Chapter 1: Beginning

"Congratulations, Pines."

Stanford Pines had just accepted a $100,000 check for his scientific research. He shook the old man's hand, smiled at the camera, and was congratulated again. He regarded the cheque with pride and joy, plans for how to spend the large sum of money in his possession already forming in his mind.

Back in his dorm, he sat pondering with his chin on his hand. His entire life, he's been teased about his six fingers. But it got him thinking about anomalies: strange, unusual, statistically improbable events. And, based on Ford's investigation, one location had a higher concentration of these things than any other.

A small lumber town in roadkill country, Oregon: Gravity Falls.

***

PLAY THEME SONG

***

Ford's attention was drawn to the blueprint in front of him. He went through each space, deciding what to put where. There's also an attic and a basement where he can keep his other inventories, as well as his office, which will also serve as his bedroom because he imagines himself staying up late researching and discovering new things.

He then looked around the woods, curious about what he would find in this town. So far, nothing unusual had occurred, as he had hoped. Just then, a massive hand grabs his car and drags it all the way until it is nowhere to be found. Ford jumped so hard that his glasses were slightly knocked off. He adjusted it with an excited smile.

The house was eventually constructed. It was perfectly situated in the middle of the forest, away from people but close to the creatures he'd undoubtedly encounter.

Ford started packing everything he needed for his trip right away. He went into the woods and saw some beautiful scenery. Tall trees, colorful plants, and organisms he'd never seen before surrounded him.

He was quietly following a flying fairy. He assumed these were myths, but they were true! Everything was in one place!

Ford dashed back to the cottage and towards his office after only an hour of his adventure. He reasoned that there are so many more things to discover, and he wanted to document each one, saving the information he gathered. As a result, he began keeping a journal.

His writing had been interrupted by a loud screech. And Ford raised his head in delight. He hurried to the front door, his pen and journal in the pocket of his trench coat.

He took a step outside and looked around, bracing himself for the second wail. Ford adjusted his glasses and looked around his front yard, but found nothing.

His shoulders sag with regret, but he will not give up. Not right now, when he's just getting started!

On his first day of adventuring, it took him the entire day to discover an entire ecosystem. His journal was only halfway finished, but he's willing to fill a million more pages with fascinating creatures!

"You're new."

Ford was startled when he heard a new voice. He hasn't heard anyone speak to him in quite some time. When he turned around, he noticed a young girl. She appeared to be human.

"Who- who are you?" Ford cleared his throat. "Why are you here?"

"You can call me Y/n," she said, shrugging. "And I live pretty much everywhere, including here, and I haven't seen you before..." She raised an eyebrow, suspiciously.

Ford narrowed his eyes at the girl before surveying the woods, and there were no homes available that she could fit into. Perhaps underground? Does she have the ability to shrink and grow?

"So, what's your name? I told you mine."

He looked back down at her. "I'm Ford. You shouldn't be here, you're just a little girl."

He started to walk away, but she followed. "I'm short, but I'm not that young."

"You look like you're 5."

"Hey!" she stopped walking momentarily but Ford continued, "Ford, wait up! Can I come with you?"

"Go home, kid. I'm gonna tell your parents."

"The thing is, I don't have any."

Ford came to a halt, his face flushed with embarrassment. He returned your stare with a frown. "Oh, I'm... I'm sorry."

"No!" the girl shook her hand, laughing at Ford's misunderstanding. "I literally don't have any parents; I guess I was just... born in this world; my memory is kinda hazy."

Ford returned to her, kneeling to her level. "You looked human, but you don't sound like you're human," he said, resting his chin on his thumb and finger. "How could you possibly exist?"

"Wow, rude-"

"I'm going to have to take a blood sample from you." Fortunately, Ford had brought his DNA test with him in his large bag.

She looked at the equipment in intrigue because she had never seen it before. "Woah."

Ford presented a syringe, hesitantly because he was about to draw blood from a child. But he had no choice but to do so in order to satisfy his curiosity and finally have an answer. "This might hurt..."

He inserted the sharp needle into her skin as quickly as he could. Ford waited for her to flinch, but nothing happened, not even a small ow.

He finally took out the syringe, watching her reaction, but she was only staring at the inside of her elbow where he drew blood. "When does it hurt?"

Ford looked at her, puzzled, but eventually shook his head and inserted a small amount of blood into his test vial. They both waited for the results. Ford stared at the screen until Y/n appeared, crashing into his left shoulder.

"Incredible," Ford had muttered under his breath. Although the machine stated that the girl beside him was 100 percent human, he refuses to believe that she did not exist without her parents.

He gave her an observant look, and she returned it, albeit innocently. He might have to just take her word for it. Gravity Falls is an odd place, and this seemingly human child was interesting.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Y/n, but I better get going."

"Let me join you! Please!" Y/n pleaded in her little girl voice.

He contemplated for a moment.

"I can help you! I know almost everything about this part of the forest! I'm smart!"

Ford was amused by her eagerness. It reminded him almost of himself when he was younger. "Oh, alright. Come along then."

"Yeah!" she exclaimed, raising her fists in the air.

On that day, Y/n and Ford met their first true friend in Gravity Falls.

***

CONTINUES IN CHAPTER 2!

kimmiepines
originally published: july 1, 2022
1050 words

DVOXLNV YZXP