In The Grass

Imagine: Druig and Makkari found a field to spend some alone time in...

____________________________________________

Druig's eyes opened slowly. He blinked at the partly cloudy sky looming above.

He turned his head to the right, grass tickling his cheek.

His heart swelled and his mouth stretched into a wide grin, his eyes soft.

Makkari lay on her side, her hand resting against his bicep, the other curled up by her chest.

Druig stared for what felt like forever. Makkari wasn't one to stay in one place for long. She was always traveling, looking for new things, learning all that she could. Breaks were few and far between but he had somehow gotten her to take a break. Pride swelled in his chest. He felt special, being here with her. Watching her sleep.

He looked to the sky. The sun had just started setting, the sky beginning to turn warm colors. They had come out here mid day, sitting down in the grass and talking about anything they felt like talking about.

Their mission had grown a little hectic in the past few months and Druig was frustrated with the rising tensions. Makkari was also, and the peaceful break they had come out here to take was slowly turning stressful, so they shifted the conversation to other things. Sooner or later, they turned to teasing and making jokes. 

"Remember the time Sersi got spooked when Ajak threw open the door, and she accidentally turned the table we were sitting at, into water?"  

Druig chuckled and nodded.

"We were all drenched."

Makkari's grin was her laughter. Druig grinned back.

"We all started bickering after that and Ajak had to break us up."

They talked like this for hours. Druig couldn't remember who had layed down first.

When he looked back to Makkari, her eyes danced behind her lids before the brown of her irises met the blue of his. She woke up. 

Her brows drew down as she slowly sat up, the hair of her ponytail falling over her shoulder. Druig followed her up.

"What time is it?"

"I'm not sure, but the sun is setting."

She ran a hand over the cheek that had been pressed into the grass and looked to Druig.

"I said lets lay down for a minute and you let me fall asleep you idiot."  She grinned as she swat him on the arm. So it was her who had layed down.

He laughed. pulling his knees up and resting his arms against them.

"You looked so relaxed and we haven't had any alone time in quite a while. I know you like having me all to yourself so..."

Her nosed scrunched and she shook her head, but said nothing.

"See you aren't denying it."

"I hope you told the others we would be gone for a while before coming to get me and dragging me all the way out here."

Druig shoved a hand through his bangs and then answered.

"You're a speedster. I can't drag you anywhere...And no...I didn't. I told them we'd be back in an hour." 

Makkari's eyes widened and she smiled in disbelief before tackling him. They rolled, clinging to each other before stopping, Makkari pushing off of him, smiling so wide she thought her cheeks would split. Druig lay there laughing, arms thrown over his eyes. She turned to the side, slapping his chest. He removed his arms from over his eyes and started laughing again.

"I'm gonna kill you Druig." She pushed to her feet, dusting off her clothes and he sat, eventually standing as well.

"You would never." He crossed his arms and she copied his stance.

"I would never." 

They started the hike back to their fortress, talking all the way back. Druig watching her intently, Makkari doing the same when it was his turn to talk.

They made it back by the time the sun set, Ajak running over and swatting them both in the back of the head.

"You said an hour, Druig! I almost sent Gil out to look for you both!"

He rubbed the back of his head as he attempted to hide his smirk. Another hand slapped the back of his neck and he winced. Makkari glared at him, arms crossed, and stalked to the middle of the room.

"I told him Ajak." 

"....Ow."

__________________________________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed. I was listening to my Drukkari playlist and got inspired.