Books and Quiet Looks

Imagine: Druig and Makkari sit in a room alone, reading. Makkari convinced him.

——————————————————————

Makkari caressed the page she was reading, enjoying the texture of the paper.
As she read, she felt eyes studying her.
She smirked, her eyes moving to the form sitting in the dim lit corner.

There sat Druig. A book in his lap. When her eyes met his, he returned his to the book.
Makkari shook her head, returning to her book as well.

A steady hour past and Druig shifted, reaching for another book and a more comfortable sitting position.

Makkari felt him moving and looked up amused before going back to her story. When she looked back up a few moments later, he had settled. He chewed his lip as he read and she got a bit distracted.
Till his eyes lifted and she snapped back to reality. He smiled as if he knew and she just ignored him, reading as he stared a bit longer.

After a few pages, she felt it again. Her entire head shifted up as she stared him down.
All he did was smile at her. Then he removed his hands from under his book.

"I want to read what you're reading," he signed. She leaned back, her head tipping to the side in question.
Her face said "really? I'm surprised you even agreed to this in the first place." She rolled her eyes and waved him over.

"Yeees." He closed his book and sauntered over, sitting down next to her.
She adjusted the book so that one side sat on her leg and the other on his.
Their shoulders touched and she smiled at the warmth.
Makkari continued her silent reading and Druig didn't make a peep for a whole chapter.
When it ended, they both looked up at the same time. Makkari's eyes held a question.

"Did you like the chapter?"
Druig nodded.
"Yeah." His gaze trailed her smile. "I liked it."
She leaned back, eyes wide.
His eyes widened at her reaction and he laughed.
"What?"
She shook her head, moving back to his side.

"What'd you like?"
He signed as he spoke.
"The character is witty. A real comedian. And he's complex, not just 'monotone'."
Her eyes moved around as he spoke.
His lips.
The pages.
His eyes.
His lips.
Finally his eyes.
They stayed like that. Staring at each other. They didn't really need to say anything. Sitting beside each other was just as fulfilling.

—————————————————————-
Sorry about the very late update. Life sucks sometimes.