Seven

Lucille's POV;

I turned to look at Rooster after Maverick essentially told him he wasn't a good enough pilot to make it out of a dog fight, he looked hurt but as if he'd do anything to hide it.

"You just don't get it do you?" Hangman threw his two cents in, of course he would, "to complete this mission we have to be fast" he continued on turning his head to look at Rooster. His eyes briefly scanning me.

Rooster let out a sarcastic laugh.

"We are going into a level of combat no living pilot has ever seen" Hangman looked to maverick as he spoke, "not even him" I didn't understand his urge to always be on top. Of course it was good to be best in show but not when it meant tearing others down.

I watched Roosters hand ball into a fist at the side of his leg, hangman was getting to him, I knew that, but I also knew maverick was the one who'd just rattled him.

"With a mission like this you can't be thinking about the past" Jake smirked. I felt my face screw up in concussion, forget about the past? What past? I glanced at Rooster who's brows were now furrowed.

"What's the supposed to mean?" He spat out, his leg starting to jitter, he did that to hide his anger, I remember that from a few years ago.

"Surely I can't be the only one that knows your old man flew with Mav here" Jakes words cut through Rooster who had now sat up, leaning forward.

"Rooster" Mav put a hand out.

"He was on the mission with him when he died right?" Hangman hadn't even got a breath after talking before Rooster flew out his chair, lunging at him.

Hangman got up quickly, ready to defend himself. Roosters hands were balled and his eyes were full of hate. Something even I hadn't seen before. I felt this urge to help him, calm him. Not that I could. Everyone else had jumped out there seats to split them up, I followed.

"You son of a bitch!" Rooster yelled while Bob, Phoenix and others pulled him back. I knew he was strong, of course I did, but having 4 or 5 people holding you back?

I ran round to the front of him as quickly as I could, his eyes pinned on hangman, staring above my head. I didn't know what to do. How to help.

I caught Phoenix eye who nodded towards Rooster, insinuating I should do something but I didn't know what I was supposed to do.

"Rooster" I spoke up to him, his eyes staying over my own head. He continued to pull away from them. I walked closer, so I was stood right in front of him. I watched his chest heave with quick breaths.

I put my hand to his chest, surprised when the contact sent what felt like an electric current through my body. I could feel his heartbeat through my hand, it was fast.

"Let me go!" He yelled.

I panicked, not knowing what to do and went with what my heart was telling me, even if my head was screaming not to.

I lifted my other hand, still keeping the first on his chest. My second hand made contact with his jaw, his skin was warm and soft, "Bradley" I whispered. His hostility stopped, his body calmed from its previous state of jumping around to get out of the grip of others. His eyes fell to my own.

For a moment I could've sworn it felt like before, like he didn't despise me, like he cared. I moved my thumb slightly against the very bottom of his cheek.

His breathing slowed under my hand. Heart still rapidly beating.

I didn't want to lose him gaze, I wanted to stay like this, even if everyone around us had their eyes on us. I felt my heartbeat quicken. My eyes softened looking at his when I realised our hearts were beating one of the same. Same pace.