Twenty one

"Tomahawks airborne" came through the ears of all 7 aviators. Lucille's grip tightened on the the gear in her hand.

If they didn't already know we were coming, they'll know soon, she'd thought.

They all fell into a straight line formation, maverick followed by Thistle, then Phoenix and Bob, behind them Rooster and lastly Payback and Fanboy. The air felt as though at tightened around all of them as they came to the start of the course, Lucille watching carefully as Mav sped up in front of her.

It's now or never.

She'd quickly spread up from 400 nots to 450, "you ready to increase your speed Phoenix?" She spoke back to receive a quick hum in response. She watched as maverick soared away in front of her, putting every once of energy in as she sped up, 500 nots.

Adrenaline started to take over the nerves that she'd felt moments ago. She was here, she was mid mission, there was no escaping until it was done.

She thought about her mum and how terrified she'd have been to know what she was doing right now, hell her mum would've killed Ice and Mav in one swoop. The thought of her mother made a small smile cover her lips.

580 nots.

Mav sped up again in front of her.

620 nots.

She looked down to see how fast she was going, "come on, just a little more" she whispered to her aircraft, knowing everyone else could hear.

645.

655.

660.

A sigh of relief fell from her lips as she soared in and out all the zigzagging of the mountain's, "heads up" Mav yelled through to her, as she came toward a large structure that was a tight fit.

"Watch your head Phoenix" she spoke calmly, giggling as she heard the gasps from the pair behind her.

"We have two enemy jets in range" a female voice spoke through their comms, Lucille looked down and could see them on her screen.

Surely they don't know yet? The tomahawks haven't hit yet. She checked the time, nope, impossible. She could hear mutters from the others with the same thoughts.

She hadn't however, heard a peep from Rooster, "we're falling behind here Rooster" paybacks voice came through, that'll be why.

Come on Rooster, you've got this, is what she wanted to say but didn't, too preoccupied with the enemy jets and enemy SAMS. She watched as the jets turned in another direction.

They don't know we're here, the relief came quickly, now her mind went back to Rooster as Mav, herself and Phoenix with Bob getting closer and closer to their target.

"Talk to me dad" she'd heard his whisper, her heart breaking for him, and yet she didn't know what she could possibly say to comfort him as she was far from a father figure to him.

"Come on kid, don't think, just do" she heard her dads voice before she could come up with any sort of plan, his encouragement making her smile and pray to the God she didn't believe in that Rooster listened.

She kept flying, staying close but not too close to the jet in front.

She could see the steep climb ahead of them.

"Holy shit Rooster, not that fast!" She heard Payback followed by a call from that lady again to advice daggers 3 and 5 were now back on course.

She could see from her monitor just how quickly they were closing in.