Twenty Three

Lucille stood with her hands on her hips staring up at what was in front of her. Baffled entirely. Two F-14's, two planes that she'd be surprised to even see get up into the sky. Maverick was muttering on about the game plan to Rooster while she stood unsure that these heaps of metal would even start up.

She snapped out of her day dreaming when maverick stood before her looking at her as if she were supposed to be answering something.

"Do you know how to fly an F-14?" He repeated the question he'd previously asked while Rooster stood to the side looking at the control box.

She looked back to the two planes.

"Yes" she nodded and turned back to her dad, Ice had taught her, more of a reminiscent thing for himself, but he'd used it as an excuse to 'teach', "I'll fly solo" she lowered her voice so Bradley couldn't here, taking in the look on Mav's face she continued, "I know what I'm doing in an F-14, Bradley has most likely never even sat in one" she looked over to the man with one hand on his hip looking around aimlessly.

Mav turned to see him, knowing she was right, but still not wanting to risk her flying alone.

"You go with Bradley"

"No dad, he needs you, trust me on that" she smiled at him, before pulling him into a hug. She knew Bradley needed to feel as if he were doing his dad proud, following in his footsteps. What better way to do that than fly the plane he flew with the partner he had?

Mav understood and for once didn't argue.

She had always heard her mother telling folk she'd got her stubbornness from her father, that May in fact now be true.

He hugged her tightly, planting a kiss on the top of her head.

He'd only known for days that she was his daughter but since he'd found out, it felt as though everything had fallen into place. He had a purpose, he had someone to live for.

Mav took one last look at her before making his way over to the controls, whispering something to Rooster as he did. Rooster giving him a look before turning to meet Lucille's eyes. She gave him a sympathetic look as he stormed her way.

"No, no way" he spoke looking down to her, she lifted a hand to his cheek. Watching his face soften as she did, but still as stubborn as always he continued to argue, "you go with me or you go with Mav" he pushed, hands balling around the fabric at her waist.

Mav turned his head to the two and very very quickly swung it back around. Nope.

She let out a sweet giggle, something he didn't know whether to love or be angry over. She leaned up placing a small peck on his lips.

"You need him Brad" she smiled placing her other hand on his chest, "you need to do this, for your dad" his eyes flashed with some sort of pain, but his face looked relieved in a way. As if he knew himself that he needed this, just didn't want to look selfish admitting to it.

He leaned down, allowing his forehead to touch hers.

He didn't speak, just took in the moment. He knew in that moment that he'd never felt this way about anyone, and he knew he'd never feel that way again.

"You're my person" he whispered leaving a soft kiss on her forehead afterwards, "and you better be back at that base totally unharmed, or else I'll kill you myself"

She smiled at his words. She knew that he had wanted to say something else, that this was his way of telling her he loved her, and it was. The only way he could, he was kicking himself for not being able to admit it.