Fifteen

Lucille hadn't gone back that day, she left, went back to the apartment and contemplated leaving the program.

She had called Sarah, asked her to get Ice to confirm this, if this whole dad thing was a total misunderstanding, God she hoped it was. It wasn't. Ice confirmed what she knew, Sarah spoke for him of course, she'd explained that he didn't want her to find out this way, that her mother had wanted to tell her, but couldn't, that she'd written her a letter for the her birthday which was the following day.

She'd told Sarah she was thinking of heading home to Scotland, leaving Top Gun behind. Ice told her he'd drag her back there himself should she leave. He took the phone and spoke at the very end of the call, which meant a lot to Lucille but hurt her, considering she could hear the pain he felt while speaking.

He had said "Top Gun needs you here. I need you here" that had made her mind up.

Screw maverick. She'd stay and damn well earn her place on that mission, she'd avoid being one to one with maverick and leave when all was said and done.

She'd woken up the following morning angry, not upset like she had been yesterday. He'd known this and neglected to tell her? Heard what hangman had said that day about her dad leaving her and he still hadn't consoled her, hadn't told her. He was just as she'd imagined her father to be. A total and utter arsehole and she'd be damned if he'd get to hold that over her.

She'd arrived at the base early the next morning, she'd eaten her breakfast before the other aviators had even arrived and made her way to cyclone to discuss yesterday and apologise for her sudden absence.

"Come in" his voice came from behind the large wooden door, "ah, Lucille, what can I do for you?" He seemed oddly cheery today. Was he lulling her into a false sense of security.

"Admiral," she greeted with a curt nod, standing tall before his desk, hands clasped behind her back, "I wish to apologise for my disappearance yesterday afternoon, it was completely unprofessional and it will not happen again, should you allow me to stay"

He stood from his seat and walked around toward the girl, "Ice emailed me last night, pay yesterday no mind, do you wish to stay?" She'd given him a confused look, "Ice has advised me of the situation you find yourself in, he himself wishes for you to stay with us here at Top Gun, but should you wish to leave, he would completely understand" Ah, so Ice had put him up to this.

"No sir, I'd like to stay, I will fly this mission" confidence was key.

"Very well, don't be late" he nodded to the clock on the wall, "you're dismissed" 08:30, shit. She'd exited the room in a calm fashion before briefly running along the hallway until she found herself in front of the door for the waiting room. Upon entering she'd seen all her fellow aviators but no maverick.

Phoenix had nodded her over to sit by her and unfortunately beside Rooster. She didn't think too much off it, should he pretend she doesn't exist maybe she would do the same.

She sat in between the two of them. Feeling her anger levels reach a height she'd never felt before.

Maverick had lied to her and Rooster had used her.

The thoughts ran around in her head the entire time, Phoenix laid a hand over one of the girls crossed arms. "Hey, where'd you go yesterday?" Lucille didn't answer, just stared at the wall ahead of her, "you never came back"

Lucille didn't look at Nat, didn't look at anyone, "had something else to deal with, that's all" her words were cold, distant. Something Natasha picked up on rather fast.

She turned to her, "are you okay?" This time Lucille's head snapped up to face Nat.

"Yes! I'm fine why the hell wouldn't I be?" Her tone was hostile. Angry. Natasha started to think about what she had done. Lucille quickly realised that she was taking her anger out on the wrong person and grabbed Nat's hand, "sorry, I'm sorry I didn't mean that how it came out" Natasha's face softened, something was wrong. Something big.