Chapter 09

That day, when we left Diane's office, we decided to have lunch together to talk about the trip she proposed to us. We chose to go to Colorado to enjoy the snow season to ski.

I confess that I was quite excited about this trip and was counting the minutes until the day arrived.

Then, the following weekend, the long-awaited day arrived. We had a smooth trip and throughout the flight we took the opportunity to talk about our expectations for the next few days.

Andy: You know I'm not afraid of danger, but skiing is something I've never done. I'm really excited.

Robert: Before my parents died, they liked to go on vacation to places where we could ski, so I learned from childhood. But since they left, I never skied again. I don't know if I still have that skill.

Andy: Maybe it's like riding a bike, so your body will remember how to do it.

On the first day we decided that we would rest, because in addition to the long hours of travel, the last week had been intense in our work. We spent most of the time in the vicinity of the hotel.

The next morning we left early for the ski slope. I had never seen Andy as excited as she was that day. Her joy and excitement was contagious.

When we started skiing, what I predicted happened: I fell after less than 1 minute of trying to move me with the board. I think my 2 meters tall and the current size of my feet didn't favor me as much as I did when I was a kid. I was a little awkward at first, which made Andy laugh. If the purpose of this trip was to have fun, we certainly were succeeding. A few attempts later, my body remembered how to do it and by then I was ready to go down the valley.

Andy waited for me to remember how to do it before joining me. I held her hands so she would feel safe.

Andy: Robert, I'm going to fall.

Robert: Trust me. We'll take it easy.

Andy: Okay.

I was teaching her how to balance and I wasn't surprised to see that she soon learned.

When we were both safe, we walked down the runway with ease. We had no reason to rush. We enjoyed the view and the wind that touched our faces. Everything was going very smoothly and we were both delighted to choose this place for our trip. It was fun to hear the adrenaline screams coming from Andy.

It didn't take long to reach the end of the track. We removed our boards and, while Andy had gone to the bathroom, I was looking at that landscape and remembering my childhood.

I was suddenly surprised by a snowball attacking me from behind. She had returned and startled me with her joke. Obviously I had to fight back. We spent some time playing snowball fights until we were both exhausted and we sat down to rest.

Robert: Are you having fun?

Andy: A lot. I don't remember having done anything like that in my entire life.

I noticed Andy was silent and I didn't want to interrupt her thoughts. When she felt comfortable, she told me.

Andy: I ​​keep thinking about all my dad's efforts to raise me alone. He did the best he could, but he never provided me with a trip that wasn't for fire department events. He has dedicated his entire life to the profession and I observe that, even now, as an adult and independent, I am reproducing the same life he had.

Robert: You are still very young and you realized in time to change your future. Allow yourself to have more vacation moments.

Andy: Okay Mr. Robert Sullivan, your advice is very valuable, but I don't see you practicing what you told me.