The One Where They Meet

Valen spent the night at my place.

She was greatly overturned, and I didn't want to leave her alone. I wasn't really in the know when it came to her parents, and how they got along, but I wasn't comfortable risking it. I did know her parents knew who I was and that they were cool with her coming over anytime since she was right across the hall, because she mentioned it at school a few weeks ago. 

We talked some more. I told her about my friends. Damian, Eric, and Abril. How I met them a few years ago at the skatepark. First Abril, then the rest of them. My first kiss with Naomi. Just a funny thing between queer friends, but that very night we made out for real. So we made a deal. Simple sex. As long as consent was given, we could just use each other for releasing tensions and stress because we understood the importance of breaking from reality in a way that still made us feel alive.
I also told her the whole messy story between Damian and Abril, who, with great importance, was Eric's sister, meaning the unforbidden fruit between best friends. But, sometimes things just happen. You fall in love with the wrong person. Eventually, Eric had to deal with the fact that finding someone you want a relationship with, and who, odd chances, you are seriously compatible with, isn't just something you can ignore. 

The (pretty much all-nighter) conversation ended with her whispering in my ear before falling deep asleep on my bed that she wanted to meet them. So I did what any worthwhile friend would do, I texted them inviting them to lunch the next day. 

My thought process was reasonable. She was my friend. She was gay and struggling. They were my friends. Most of them were queer as fuck, and they used to struggle too. Just like I said yesterday, finding people who understand, accept, and support this kind of thing is valuable. I could give her that. How could I not?

The next morning I made myself some coffee. When I came back she was still sleeping and she looked insanely adorable. I just couldn't wake her up. I sipped my coffee in silence, and when she finally woke up, I offered her a cup. 
"Thanks," she brought the cup up to her lips and took a sip. Then she shrunk her nose. "It's hot," she giggled. Her hair was tied in a messy bun, which she put in place the second she woke up. 
"Your hair's a mess," I mumbled, impulsively. 
She broke into laughter, "my hair's a mess? Have you looked in the mirror?"
I hadn't. "No. What's wrong with my hair?"
"It's all tangled up," she leaned in and run her fingers through it, which kinda hurt, pointing out that she was right. But as she kept going, this unexpected tension came between us and time stopped. 

A million years went by in the five minutes it took for her to untangle all strands. When she was done, she didn't pull away instantly. She stayed close to me for a few seconds and I studied her lips. 
When the moment was over, I wished it lasted longer. It just slipped from my hands into memory and I realized I should have savored it more. 

*****

They arrived together. Noami's blond hair was tied in two braids, which I had never seen before, but it fitted her perfectly. She was wearing my brown hoodie. I made a mental note to get that hoodie back, it was amazing. But I did admit it probably looked better on her.
She was the first to introduce herself. By that, I mean she practically ran her way and hugged her, weirdly excited. Valen glanced at me confused, but when I lifted my shoulders, she seized the warm embrace. 
"I'm so happy to meet you," Naomi drew a wide smile. 
"You are?" Valen asked, giving the normal response. 
"Yes! She hasn't really told me much about you," her eyes came my way, "but ever since I saw you in the elevator, you have given me the most amazing vibes."
"Really? That's so sweet," Valen matched her energy, surprising me. I could barely believe she knew what 'vibes' meant. "You have great vibes too, by the way."
"Oh, I know that, girl. So, I have a question of great importance."
The conversation had me in full awe. 
"Do ask." 
"Do you read? You look like you read."
"Yeah, I do! How could you tell?"
"Amazing vibes, I said." 
"Do you read?"

Now, to that question, I was expecting a huge ass 'no'. Instead: 
"Absolutely."
I'm sorry, what?
"I didn't know you read," I marched in. 
"You never asked," she answered promptly, pretty much ignoring my existence. 
"So what kind of books do you like?" Valen asked her. 
"Gothic stuff. Fantasy, too. You know, the dark type of fantasy. The occasional fanfic of my favorite tv shows."
"I get that. I'm a lot more bubblegum,"
"That's cool, too. I kind of figured if I'm being honest," Valen chuckled. 

The chat went off in the most shocking directions. I was utterly confused. 
"What the hell just happened?" I asked the guys. 
"Your puppy just made a bestie for life," Abril replied, twitching my arm.