Ch. 10

BALLOONS

❝stop letting it bother you,
just let it go.❞ 

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

hyemi

I stayed silent. after that date, I distanced myself from him, not because I rejected him but I was just embarrassed of myself. I couldn't look at him in the eye anymore, I kept on remembering that stupid night.

we went back to Seoul but before we returned back home, we went to to the beach. "why?" he whispered, "why won't you accept my heart? I don't want desperate but I really like you, hyemi." his feeling was sincere, I could tell by his crystal clear eyes but I was in a dilemma.

I was scared. I liked him too and if there was nothing that can stop me from liking him, I would kiss him on that time. however, I knew that if I accepted him and be his girlfriend, his reputation would be bad and everyone would hate me and look down on him. I didn't want that.

"I just know that you like byul —"

"byul? did she tell you that?"

of course not. byul didn't like him and he didn't like her too but I needed a reason to reject him. "no, but as a friend I should respect both of you. I saw you with her after a few days we kissed and I thought that you liked her. I slapped you because I thought that I would hurt my friend's feeling."

"why?"

exactly, I asked myself continuously, why would I do that? I smiled to him, "because I didn't want to ruin our friendship..." I experienced those days when I hurt people because their crush decided to ask me out and I hated that they hated me in the end even though it wasn't my fault.

"don't you think, that's unfair? I like you. and hyemi, I know you like me too —"

"I like you," I diverted my eyes from him, "I liked our kiss. I liked us hanging out and your just one day made me like you even more. I enjoyed it, but I'm sorry, I can't accept you." I stood up and quickly I walked away because I didn't want him to see my red cheeks and teary eyes.

as soon I put down my earpieces on the table, I noticed that the house was oddly noisy. I peeked over the window, just to find father's luxury car outside with his driver wiping the hoot. "they're home," I muttered underneath my breath.

I missed them; it had been five months since the last time I saw them. I knew that father wouldn't greet me, but I went downstairs anyway to show my respect to him. "welcome home, father," I said when he walked pass me but of course, I was ignored.

"hyemi!" I was startled when I was pulled into a hug, "I miss you!" by my lively and bright stepbrother. to be honest, he was the only person in the family that acted as if we were close. "how are you, little kid?" he asked.

"everything is fine —"

"where's hyeri?" I blinked my eyes before I told him that she stayed at her friends again. "can you call her? we need her," he finally pulled away the hug before he ruffled my hair and came inside the house.

they need her.

I reached for my phone inside my pocket and I dialled for her number. eventually, she answered me right away, "hyeri..." I whispered, "father's home. they need you right now." I didn't know why that it had to hurt me.

once I hung up the phone, I entered the house and heard father asking where hyeri was. I knew I should've expected it and at least I shouldn't get hurt but I got hurt again. I clenched my fist and went back to my room, lying on the bed, maybe crying a little.