Chapter 3

"What do you mean, it's Will?" I questioned softly, looking around at the lamps that filled the room, the two from the living room, my one standing lamp from my bedroom, her bedside table lamp, Jonathan's lamp from his dresser, the lamp from the e...

"What do you mean, it's Will?" I questioned softly, looking around at the lamps that filled the room, the two from the living room, my one standing lamp from my bedroom, her bedside table lamp, Jonathan's lamp from his dresser, the lamp from the end of the hallway by the window, Will's lamp from his desk, some I didn't even know where she had got them from, it was like I was furniture shopping. I could see her cheeks were stained from tears that were long gone, something definitely happened here tonight, something that made my slightly spacey mother go from frantic because her son is missing to absolutely bonkers.

"Okay, the phone...you saw the phone was fried again, right!? I did what you said, I went and got a new one! It was him again, and this time...Sam, this time I heard him say my name." She started to explain, her voice soft and full of tears, almost desperate for me to believe her while I let out a shaky breath, this was the first time I had been in Will's room since he went missing, and it only made me think back to the night that I came home and noticed the house was empty...how it was all my fault.

"Then I noticed the lights in the hallway were flickering, and then to the lamp at the end of the hall, this one!" She pointed to the lamp that normally sat on the small table at the end of the hallway, between mine and Will's room that were right across from each other's.

"Then....the first song you and Jonathan introduced Will to while your father and I were fighting sometime last year, the song that started it all for him, your traditions of music swapping, dancing and singing and talking in his room to drown out the sounds of our arguing, to save him from hearing our harsh words..the song that he would play on repeat, over and over again whenever he was sad because it reminded him of you and your brother and the love you have for each other." She rambled, tears filling her eyes once again as I touched Will's boombox and let out a watery chuckle at the memory.

"Should I Stay Or Should I Go, by The Clash...it was the day that Will and I realized that Jonathan is the worst dancer we had ever seen." I hummed, causing her to match my watery chuckle at the thought.

"That song was blasting from this room, and the lamp next to it glowed brighter than the wattage on the lightbulb can even take, but then the wall...it almost looked like something was trying to push through it, or like it was breathing." She continued, my hand traveling the the lamp next to the boombox that she was talking about, the lamp that glowed with what she thought was somehow Will.

"I ran out of the house once I saw it...but then the music started playing again and the lights in the house started so I came back in, it was like he was asking for help...he is trying to talk to me, communicate, I know it! I brought all the lamps in here, I figured the more lights, the more possibility that one lights up. Are you even listening to me!?" Mom yelled ripping me from my thoughts, and causing me to nod and sit down on the edge of Will's bed with her.

"I'm going to go and talk to the boys." I started as I took one of her hands and gave it a small squeeze, her eyes wide, knowing exactly who I meant when I said that.