Friction

Skye

     "I'm hungry, Mommy!" Elliot said.

     "Too bad, go tell brother to warm you up some rice. We ain't got shit else."

     I could tell my baby brother was starving, because so was I, my mother didn't have to yell at him like that. Ain't enough stress in the world that would cause me to treat my kids that way! Everything we had in our fridge was gone in weeks, without her being much of a cook, all we had at the time was microwaveable food anyway. Only thing we can do is wait 'til the 15th to have our food stamp card replenished.

     "Elliot, Jace! Let's go!" I shouted.

     "Where the fuck you going?"

     "Out," I simply said. Long as I took my brothers, I knew I didn't have to go into details.

     "Yeah, get out my damn face for a while and let me breathe." My mother angrily said, as we made our way out.

     "Both y'all hold my hand when we get down to the street." I said, as we walked down the stairs to the first floor.

     The weather was still cool, finally winding down, as winter was bearing for a close. I held tight to my little brother's hands. Walking out here, you never know what can happen. I spent my last twenty so all of us could eat. This money was mine, aside from the bags my mother and uncle want me to sell. Just so she wouldn't bitch, I even got something for her, but after how she's been coming at us, I really didn't want to.

     You chose to be with a drug dealer. No disrespect to my father, but don't take your shit out on us because without him you know you ain't ever going to amount to shit! So you thrive off the success and wealth of others. It's been six months, quit dragging your ass and get your shit together. I'm over here stressing because I'm being more of a mother to your kids than you are.

     "Come on, it's getting dark. Grab her food."

The moment we stepped out, our uncle was standing out by the doorway of the Chinese restaurant.

     "You have any grams left?"

"No, I sold it all. My mother has the money."

"Tell her I'll be by later."

Scurrying along, I took my brothers back home. Recently, my mother has picked up a nasty habit of smoking cigarettes, it was nasty smelling cloud around her as she sat at the kitchen table. Passing her the food I bought, she went into an uproar about how I was spending her money. When in actuality, it was mine.

After sitting down and finishing up on my homework, my mother sat through a stack of bills and letters from the child services about our case. I spaced out, thinking about my father.

"Don't tell your mother I'm showing you this, you're getting older, and it's no surprise that your body is filling out. You need to know how to defend yourself. Here's my favorite piece, it's small, and just right for you. The Glock 42, small, but packs power. Tell me, are you a virgin? You can tell me, I'm not going to judge." He insisted, cocking his weapon.

"I'm not about to talk about my sex life with you in a room full of guns." I assured. I picked up the glock, its cold steel sent chills through my body. But at the same time, I enjoyed the feeling. Something I could get used to.

"Smart girl, I think you should know about the birds and the bees. That shit they teaching you at your school ain't enough to go off of. They can't explain it with real insight like I can. I'm just going to say, no matter how good it feels, never let a nigga hit it raw."