Right By My Side

Skye

Skye

     Today is the first day back to school, officially, since my mother's case dismissal. School lately has not been the best for me, but I don't let the little bullshit bother me. Since I don't have my old clique anymore, I really been just keeping to myself. Nobody knows anything about what has been going on in my life. The only person who cares to ask, is Ms. LaRose, really that's only because it's her job.

     "You missed quite a bit of school, what happened?"

     "So much shit, Ms. LaRose, that I don't even want to talk about it, please. Don't make me, it's water under the bridge and I'm much better now."

     "I wanted to reschedule our last meeting so I can make sure you're okay. It's nothing you want to talk about?"

     "Something I want to ask, off the record."

     "Okay, go head."

     "No questions asked, would you adopt me if I asked?"

     She took her glasses off. "I treat you as a daughter as is. Remember our little trips and manicures? That's pretty much against policy, but we built a connection and you opened up so that I was willing to break the rules so we could understand each other better. I would have to know the reason. Why, Skye?"

     "In a circumstance where my living placement is adjusted, I just wanted to know if it's okay I come to you with my baggage?"

     "Baggage, as in?"

     "My two little brothers."

     "My home is always open to you, Skye, I would help you find placement if necessary."

     "I'm talking placement with you, permanent, or at least temporarily, 'til I find my own place. But it's all good, I was just wondering."

     "Is there something wrong?"

     "It was, I almost ran out of options, but since we were close, I needed to know for myself."

     "Things with your mother good?"

     "Yes, but, umm, how do I put this? I see you as more like a mother than her, if I picked up something new on how to act and behave like a woman, it was from watching you. It's your job to be nice, so maybe I had you figured out wrong, I just been lied to a lot lately, so for once, it's good to see the truth."

     "But I can't ever replace your real mother, Skye."

     "That's not what I was trying to say, I guess I look up to you. I don't know, I was searching for what you provide me with her at home, but it was never there.."

     "Well I'm sorry if I didn't give you the exact answer you were looking for, my office is always open if you need to come in and talk about whatever. It doesn't always have to be about problems, whatever is on your mind."