Chapter 17

After an hour or two the pie was finished. Sally kept on asking to eat it but I had to tell her no since it would spoil her dinner tonight. Besides, the pie was supposed to be for after dinner. Toby even tried eating the pie but I had to distract him by telling him that Masky was making out with Hoodie. That always made him start running around, looking for them to see it and mock them.

    “Why would I make out with Hoodie exactly,” Masky said, overhearing me telling Toby. 

    “Maybe it’s because you guys seem perfect for each other and have been best friends,” I said. Masky just coughed nervously as he went back upstairs to see what missions Slender had for him. I knew that not everyone knew who I was since some of them were at missions during the introduction but I think that Slender said something to them to let them know who I was. 

    I started to put the stuff I used to make into the pie. I reached up to the fridge to put the remaining strawberries and the cinnamon away. While doing this, someone slapped me on the back of my neck. I whipped around to see Ben.

    “What was that for?” I asked. When I asked though, I didn’t show any hint of anger. I wasn’t mad at him, I just wondered why he did it.

    “I like your cut G,” He said.

    “That meme is so old, why are you still saying it,” Jeff said, coming from behind.

    “I agree with Jeff,” I say. “But it was still funny.” Ben looked at me oddly and walked off. 

    “I can’t believe you didn’t even yell,” Jeff said.

    “What's the point in yelling, it leads to conflicts and it was just a joke.”

    “Yeah, well, we aren’t like that here. It's kill or be killed in this world and we chose to kill. No one is kind to each other except when we’re allies. I still don’t know if I can trust you but since Jack does then… I guess I do too.”

    Jeff walked around the island counter and went to the couch to watch TV. His words stung a bit. I just wanted to be nice to everyone and hope that they would respect me if I respected them. But it was true. Trust has to be earned, and I don’t know if I have done what is needed to be trusted.

    I’m willing to bet that they might think I poisoned the pie when they are getting ready to eat it. My mind went to Jack in almost an instant. He trusted me. So couldn’t the others. I have done nothing wrong but they don’t exactly trust me yet.  I didn’t really blame them though, I didn't think I would trust someone I didn’t know yet either.

    Jack came down, his mask on his face as always and his black sweater on. He waved to me and I waved back, smiling. 

    “You making pie?” He asked. “I thought you and Sally were just joking but geez.” I laughed at his comment and continued putting stuff away. 

    “I have to go out hunting for a bit, I will see you later,” He said, pulling me into a hug from behind. I turned around and hugged him back.

    “Okay, be safe,” I said as he pulled away from the hug. I turned back to what I was doing.

    “Okay I will, ” He said. He turned to Jeff and walked to him. “Make sure that no one hurts her. If nothing happens, I will give you all my kill missions and cover for you on things you do that Slenderman doesn’t like for three months.” Jeff looked at him, thinking.  

    “Make it five months and then it’s a deal,” Jeff said to Jack. Jack nodded in agreement and walked over to the door. I waved bye to him and he waved back.