Five

There were moments in a person's life when they will be torn between two things. It's always two. Sometimes three, but most of the time two. It could be one only— the one they think was the best choice, the one they really wanted to do— but another will pop out of nowhere. It would tell you to stop doing what you want to do. Do what you need to do.

I wanted to run away as far as possible. I wanted to let them suffer. I wanted them to feel the heat I was feeling for the past few days. I wanted to brush away the smiles off their faces.

But I needed to go back. I needed to inform them. I needed to get help. I needed to save them.

I was panting while running. I was still contemplating whether I should go back and save them or just run until I reached home.

You shouldn't go back, Allison. They said that being kind doesn't suit you, right?

Huminto ako sa pagtakbo. My shoulders and chest were moving so fast. Tears and sweat mixed on my face and neck.

They didn't want the kind one. Fine. I threw that away. But by going here tonight, by wanting to show them how angry I was at them, I was already the old Allison. And I knew that way deep down inside me, that Allison maybe has anger issues... but she will never ever let anyone die.

Never.

So I ran again.

Back to Kelly's house.

I ran twice faster as I did earlier. When I got to the right street, my eyes widened. Ang gabi na dapat madilim ay lumiwanag dahil sa laki ng apoy. I stopped in front of the house. I stood there, horrified by what I was seeing.

"He... Hel..." Gusto kong sumigaw pero walang lumalabas na boses sa bibig ko. I was too shocked.

Only a terrifying scream put me back to my senses. Hindi ganoon kalakas pero rinig ko ang sigawan nila sa loob. Tumindig ang mga balahibo ko sa katawan.

"HELP!" I shouted at the neighbors with all of my voice. "Tulong!"

I got no phone. I couldn't call a firetruck. Tumakbo ako sa pinakamalapit na bahay at paulit-ulit pinindot ang doorbell.

"Help! May nasusunog na bahay! Tulong!" sigaw ko.

Lumingon ako sa bahay nila Kelly na patuloy na nilalamon ng apoy. I rang the doorbell consecutively again. Nang may lumabas na tao mula roon ay hindi ko na kinailangan ipaliwanag ang nangyayari. Agad nilang nakita ang sunog sa kapitbahay nila kaya agad silang tumawag ng bumbero.

I was panicking the whole time na nag-aantay lang na dumating ang tulong. Their screams were slowly dying.

You're a murderer, Allison! You're a murderer!

"No. No. No," I repeatedly said as I cover my ears and look at the burning house.

Nang marinig ko ang tunog ng bumbero ay agad akong lumapit sa kanila.

"Nasa loob po 'yong mga kaibigan ko! Save them! Save them, please! They are dying! Please!" pagmamakaawa ko sa kanila.

One firefighter got a hold of me and took me away from the house. Lumapit naman sa amin ang kapitbahay nila Kelly na hiningian ko ng tulong at pinigilan ako. Pinagpatuloy nila ang pagpapakalma sa akin pero hindi ko magawa. Nakatingin lang ako sa bahay at sa mga bumberong sinusubukan pumasok sa loob nito.

The whole entrance was covered with fire. The second floor was not entirely on fire but if they didn't put the fire out on time, it would be too.

Napatayo ako nang maayos nang makita kong nakapasok na sila at hindi kalaunan ay may nailabas nang isang tao.