scarlett

I knew it was wrong to lie about being sick. But I couldn't go to Hogsmeade. I felt like my bed was my life raft and this school was the middle of the ocean.

I knew I wasn't entirely alone. Marlene and Dorcas had almost missed the last carriage if it wasn't for me literally begging them to leave and that I just needed rest. I couldn't do it. I couldn't get up and get ready like any normal person.

I wanted to lay in the comfort of my sheets and pillows, sinking into the bed with Wybie by my side.

I couldn't help but miss my dad. I wished I had gone to see him and talked with him. He was the only person who understood and could possibly have answers.

I sighed, knowing that was a hopeless possibility. My dad was a stubborn man who can't finish a sentence without a sip. He would seem warm and comforting to other people, but that easily changed behind doors. My dad would be cold, he would throw little insults here and there and expected me to practically be his maid. I was thankful he was never physically abusive, but his words still felt like punches.

I just wanted to feel the safety of being around a parent.

I was paranoid after the quidditch game. I was glad James came to visit me that day because he provided me with a great distraction.

By kissing me. Not just a peck, more like he sort of shoved his tongue down my throat and I didn't hate it.

I got a weird feeling in my stomach when his lips touched mine. Like when you go down a rollercoaster and your stomach twists a bit. I didn't know if it was because maybe I liked him or because I knew his lips had touched someone else's.

I put my head in my pillow, letting out a muffled scream. I felt like my hair was falling out from stress and anxiety. I was going insane.

I had seen my mother in the girls bathroom and I had dreamt about her on the same day. It wasn't a normal dream either, it was more like a nightmare.

My stomach grumbled as I caught my breath while staring at the ceiling. I wanted to go to the kitchens and ask for all my favorite foods, however, it always felt wrong asking a house elf to make me anything.

Just because they weren't like us, it didn't mean that they didn't think like us. They were still people in my head. House elves had thoughts and voices but have been battered and beaten for years to believe that being enslaves was right.

I stood up grabbed an oversized hoodie and baggy sweatpants, putting the hood over my head. I took a few galleons in case my first stop wasn't successful and a pair a black sunglasses.

I walked out of my dorm and into the common room, the sun coming in through the window and illuminating the empty room. I hesitated before waking out, my hands grazing the side of the couch. For once, it seemed like Hogwarts wasn't so bad. Maybe it was the lack of students or my lack of vitamin D that made me excited to see the sun.

I walked out of the common room in a slightly better mood, thanking myself for staying.

I arrived in front of Mcgonagalls office door, hoping she had stayed. I knew it was unlikely that she'd want to stay in the place she works, but it was worth a try.

I knocked three times, thinking how dumb I was for even wasting my time coming here when the door suddenly opened.

Minerva Mcgonagall in all her glory.

"Scarlett, come in" She quickly said, moving aside for me to enter. "What's wrong?"

"Uhm, nothing? I was wondering if you had biscuits?" I said, pretending like I didn't see the huge plate on her desk as I took my sunglasses off.