Prologue

"And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it."
~Ecclesiastes 12:7
Aniyah Zai Williams
--------------------------------------------------------

"Perfect."

I looked over the blank landscape of the living room in my client's home. I love working with a blank canvas, the amount of space I can fill with vibrant pieces of furniture and bold artwork excited me. Working as an interior designer wasn't always my dream. I once wanted to pursue law, but the fast and luxurious life designing brought me was too good to pass up. I graduated with a bachelors in law and society, I took a few design classes at my local community college and fell in love.

"In your case, Mr. and Mrs. Rowe, a black and silver color scheme would be perfect to match these marble floors" I smiled at my clients as they awaited my every word. Over the years I've become really successful in this industry, I've made a name for myself.

"Thank you Miss Williams, I'll send you the floor plan of the home later today," Mrs. Rowe stated as she smiled back to me. We discussed pricing and said our goodbyes before I walked out the door.

I stepped into my car and checked my phone.

3 missed calls from "Salome"

"What could she possibly want," I said to myself as I drove off heading towards my office.

"Doesn't she know i'm working, it's not like she would understand with all those kids running around." Salome is my older sister by 5 years. Many assume we are twins. She matches my curvy figure and wild natural hair perfectly.

Shes 30 years old and married. She left her job as a in-home nurse to be a stay at home mom, to four children, with one on the way.

Salome had her first baby at 17. We grew up as pastors kids, so for the pastor's daughter to be 16 and pregnant brought a lot of scandal to our church. She still hasn't revealed who the baby's father is but I have some ideas. After her first baby, Keziah, she grew closer to God and took nursing classes at our local college, once she graduated high school. She then married Kevene, our childhood friend from church. I always knew they had something going on as a kid.

Her relationship with God is something I've always wanted. Every time I try to step forward in my faith a distraction comes, therefore I haven't showed my face in church in a while.

I'm the pastors daughter after all, I should be sitting up at the front with Salome, serving my church,  but the shame is too much to come to terms with. I rather put my all into work, its my life's purpose.

I've always secretly wanted that little house on the hill with a husband and kids. "Maybe Salome does have it all..." I got distracted from these thoughts as I pulled into the driveway of my office. I worked really hard to earn this.

The office is in a high rise downtown and it screams 'black girl luxury'. I live in an apartment down the street, so sometimes I walk to the office.

I stepped into the elevator after waving at the doorman when my phone went off again. I used my headphones to accept the call.

"Hello Salome why do you keep call-"

"Aniyah... hes gone."

Then everything went blank.

------------------------------------------------------------

Word count- 575