ii

her room was in between belly and jeremiah's. it was originally the guest bedroom since she and belly had always shared a room, that was until six summers ago when the girls had gotten too big to sleep in the double with taylor. since taylor was belly's best friend, she let them have their room, and moved into the guest room. it's been like that ever since.

before that summer, cami used to be best friends with taylor too, but she started to notice that taylor and belly never really included her, and that it felt more like a chore than anyting. she figured that it would be best if she just left the two alone. it didn't take long for her to find a new best friend back at home. in cousins it had always been jeremiah, but during any other season, she'd spend most of her time with olive; they'd been friends since they were three. oli usually came every other summer, she came last year, which meant she wouldn't be coming this year.

there was a double with white sheets, and a big window facing the beach, with a ledge under it, that made it perfect for sneaking out. there was an old worn-down dresser and a matching closet and mirror. susannah said she didn't know how old the furniture was, since it came with the house when they'd bought it. olive always said that it was probably as old as her great grandmother alice, who had yet to kick the bucket at 98.

she set her big duffel bag on her bed and started pulling out all of her tshirts, along with all of the other things that would need to go in the dresser. she then hung up her sweatshirts, hoodies, jackets, and such in the closet.

'wanna go for a swim?' jeremiah asked poking his head through the door.

'sure,' cami said, 'is belly coming too?'

'nope, she said she had to help my mom unpack,' he said.

'okay, give me two minutes and i'll be there,' camila smiled as she walked over to close her door.

she decided to wear a plain white bikini she'd bought a few months ago for a pool party that one of taylor was friends with was hosting, along with some shorts she'd had for a few years.

despite not being best friends anymore, cami and taylor still treated each other with respect, there was no 'bad blood' between the two girls, their friendship just wasn't as forced as it used to feel.

cami ran downstairs, and remembered to grab a towel from the washroom, fresh out of the dryer, and met up with jere outside.

'you know, my dad is coming down for the fourth,' camila said.

'yeah, my mom mentioned it a couple of dys ago at dinner,' jeremiah said.

'belly thinks it's weird, 'cause they've only been divorced for a year and a half,' camilla explained. personally, she didn't think it was weird, a year and a half seemed like a reasonable time frame to work things out.

'well, that's what's cool about your guys' mom, you know? she just doesn't give a shit,' jere explained.

'exactly!' cami exclaimed happy that someone finally agreed, 'belly always says that it's only because she was the one who wanted the divorce in the first place,' she explained as they neared the beach.

'i believe that if she didn't want to be married, then she shouldn't have gotten married in the first place,' jere shrugged.

the divorce had taken a toll on everyone in the conklin family, especially the children.

'try telling that to my grandma, she practically collapsed when mom told her,' camila said, making jeremiah laugh, 'did you know our dad has a new girlfriend already?' she asked after a few seconds, 'she's like twenty-seven or something, it's unbelievable,' camila explained with raised eyebrows.