v

cami woke up early that morning, seeing jeremiah sprawled all over his bed, her in the smae position she fell asleep in. his room smelled like the ocean, which she loved. she'd woken up to the sound of the floor creaking; she guessed it was belly wanting to get to the pier in time for the boat.

she quietly got up and tiptoed into her room where she saw a little piece of paper on her nightstand. opening it, it was asking her to choose whether she wanted to attend the debutante ball or not. she thought about what everyone had said; how she and belly were feral alley cats, how it was complete bullshit, and so on. even though it wasn't usually how she'd choose to spend her summer, she set an x; choosing to accept the offer.

when she got downstairs no one was there. she decided to make a smoothie and then see if the waves were big enough to go surfing.

it was only when she had put all of the small frozen mango and banana pieces, and almond milk into the small blender, that she realized how loud it would be. she remembered that there was an outlet outside, and decided to use that one instead.

when she turned it on she saw conrad sitting on the beach, just looking at the waves. she debated whether or not she should go say hi or keep him company, but decided not to. lately it seemed like he needed his space.

as soon as the smoothie was done blending, she headed back inside and poured it into a mason jar, and grabbed a straw.

she never finished it, she always made too much, and she knew it.

'don't mind if i do,' susannah said taking a sip of her smoothie. she'd been sleeping on the couch all night.

'no, go ahead, i'm full anyway,' cami smiled pushing it towards the woman she considered her second mom.

'i've never understood how you're so good at making these,' she said, 'it has the consistency of a milkshake, but there isn't even a single dairy product in it and no added sugars.'

'it's pretty easy, i can show you next time i make one,' cami said.

'that would be great honey,' susannah smiled tucking a small piece of hair behind the girl's ear, that had fallen out of her braids, 'i'm gonna get changed,' she said, 'and you should probably take a shower, we're gonna go dress shopping today,' she smiled. she must've seen the piece of paper cami had hung on the fridge with her acceptance to become a debutante.

camila smiled nervously, 'okay.'

she decided that she would go for a quick surf, and then head back in time so she could take a shower before belly.

___________

when she got back her mom was awake, sitting with her laptop, probably trying to write something new, 'morning,' cami said.

'good morning,' her mom smiled.

she then headed upstairs into her room to find something to wear. she decided on shorts and a flannel with a crop top underneath, an iconic look for camila.

after her shower, she went downstairs, this time both jeremiah and steven were also awake, dressed in their work attire.

'do we really have to physically sit for our portrait?' jeremiah asked, making breakfast, 'can't she just, like, look at a picture on her phone or something?' he asked, 'okay, get out,' he told steven, annoyed that he wouldn't stop looking over his shoulder.

'what? why?' he laughed, backing up.

'she needs to see you in the flesh in order to capture your essence,' laurel explained, 'while you're still young and full of hope,' making both of the boys laugh, 'her words.'