viii

'belly!'

'what?'

'i have nothing to wear!'

'just wear something casual,' belly said walking into cami's room, 'wear something that would make mom happy.'

cami's mood had changed like the weather's; from happy, to well, not so happy. it had started out warm and sunny that day, but now it was just humid and cloudy, almost as if it was about to rain, you could almost smell it.

'i know,' she groaned, 'but i don't know if i wanna wear long pants, i feel like it's too humid outside.'

'then wear some shorts and one of the tops she bought you for our birthday,' belly said walking back to her own room.

'fine, whatever,' she took out a not too ripped up pair of denim jeans and a blue square neck sating top out of her closet and put it on, 'hey, belly?'

'yeah?' she groaned.

'what shoes should i wear?' cami asked looking at her white converses.

'i don't know? i have my own problems,' she responded.

'okay, fine,' she said and grabbed them out, and putting them on. walking over to her mirror, she put on the tiniest layer of mascara, some blush, very little though, and some chapstick, barely making a difference in her appearance.

once downstairs, she grabbed a quick snack, and continued to the living room. half-way there, she ran into jeremiah, 'you know, i don't think we'll be getting that late-night surf tonight,' she said, 'not in this weather.'

'so what? who cares about the weather,' he said.

she laughed, 'fine, whatever,' she smiled.

'fine, whatever,' jere imitated, taking a big bite of the turnover.

'how do you do that?' cami laughed.

'do what?' he mumbled while chewing on the pastry.

'nevermind,' she smiled, breaking a piece of the turnover off, 'do you want the rest?' she asked putting the small piece in her mouth.

'never thought you'd ask,' he said and grabbed the turnover, 'wanna play?' he asked.

'sure,' she said putting the plate in the sink, regardless of what her mom had told them.

'hey, guys, cami's gonna play with us,' he said and settled next to steven.

'okay,' steven responded nonchalant. conrad didn't say anything.

'here, you go,' jere said and handed her the last controller, as she sat next to him on the couch, crossing her legs.

'not the shoes,' steven groaned.

'that's not up to you,' conrad said.

'whatever, man,' he said, 'let's just focus on the game.'

'full team, full team, full team,' cami said.

'okay, i'm coming, coming right now,' jere said. she'd always played with them, while belly was too busy hanging out with the moms, 'wait. you see one?'

'cracked one, cracked one,' steven said.

'nice,' jere and cami said at the same time.

'got him,' conrad said.

'see you guys later,' belly said suddenly, making jere and cami look at her.

'damn,' jere began.

'you look good, just not for a book signing party,' cami said, belly had forgotten to tell her about her date with cam.