xiv

it was a few days after taylor had left, and it was finally the fourth of july. cami was well aware of how much the fourth meant to susannah, and had made a goal to help plan the best fourth she could, because to cami, holidays was about spending time and having fun with the people you care about. 'morning,' she said walking into the kitchen, after her run. she was sweaty and a bit out of breath.

'can i finish your milk,' jere asked belly, 'morning, cami,' he said before slurping it all.

'yo, i'm gonna go wash the clams,' conrad said walking into the kitchen, 'did you get the lighter fluid?' he asked jere.

'yeah, it's already on the beach,' jere replied, leaning back in his chair.

'okay, thanks,' conrad said walking outside.

'are we done with the portrait, yet?' steven asked as he and susannah walked through the same door conrad had exited.

'yeah, for today,' susannah replied, 'but you do look good in a dress shirt, steven,' she complimented, 'uh, which makes me think, since cami and belly still haven't asked cam or jakob, maybe you could take one of them,' she said beginning to wash her brushes.

'ew. no way,' belly and cami said.

'no, no, no, yeah, yeah, yeah. i'm already going with shayla,' steven said.

'to the debutante ball?' their mom asked.

'yes,' he said.

'as an escort?'

'wrap your head around it, mom, all right?' he chuckled, 'shayla's is coming today with nicole and gigi, so you'll meet her.'

'that's wonderful,' susannah chimed in when their mom did nothing but smile, 'oh, and don't forget, ms. covington's first dance rehearsal is tomorrow, so, uh, tick-tock,' she said looking at both girls.

'i'm asking cam today,' belly said looking at cami.

'i-i'll figure something out,' cami shrugged.

'i can fill in for the rehearsal until you find someone,' jere offered, 'you'll just have to teach them yourself.'

'uhm, no, that's okay, i have an idea,' cami smiled looking at jere and then her mom, 'wait, are you wearing make-up?' she asked her mom.

'oh, my god, you totally are!' susannah said.

'oh, my... she definitely is,' steven said.

'ooh!' jere whooped.

'mom!' belly smiled.

'so, what? we're having a party,' she brushed off.

'mm-hmm,' susannah hummed, 'i'm sure it has nothing to do with john coming to the clam bake?'

'oh, please. the husbands always come down for the fourth,' laurel said.

'he's not your husband anymore,' belly said.

'oops. yeah,' their mom chuckled, 'ex-husband,' she corrected.

'you know, i still don't understand why you invited dad's girlfriend,' steven asked.

'her name is victoria, and your father wanted us all to meet her,' she explained, 'oh, cami, i need you to move your stuff into belly's room, and clean ur room,' she said folding the laundry.

'wait, dad and victoria are staying here?' she asked, 'in my room? why does it have to be my room?'

'because,' her mom said.

'oh, my god,' cami groaned, making belly and jere laugh.

'oh, speaking of dads, yours called,' susannah said looking at jeremiah, 'he's closing a deal, so he can't come.'