x

it had been about a week since the book signing, and cami's suspicions of jeremiah being in love with belly weren't getting any smaller. she felt more sorry for jeremiah than anything, because unlike everyone else, he seemed to be completely unaware of her feelings towards conrad.

never the less, the day of the conklin twins' birthday had arrived, and cami had decided to wear a plain white crop top, an old flannel and some distressed denim shorts, along with her birkenstocks that susannah had gotten her for her fifteenth and some jewelry.

'morning, bells,' cami said walking into her sister's room.

'hey,' she responded putting her earrings in.

'you look pretty,' cami smiled, making the younger one smile.

'you ready?' belly asked turning around.

'yup,' cami said as the two went down the hallway and down the stairs to the kitchen.

'morning, everyone,' belly said.

'happy birthday!' they all said.

'there are the birthday girls,' susannah smiled hugging them both, 'looking like a vision in floral,' she said to belly.

'happy sweet sixteen, cami,' jere said and hugged her.

'thanks,' cami smiled.

'and you look like me from the eighties,' susannah told cami.

'really?' cami asked.

'yeah, you should've seen me,' susannah said.

'now belly button and chameleon are getting old,' steven said walking over with a piece of bacon, 'finally, happy birthday,' he smiled.

'thanks, guys,' cami smiled.

'happy birthday, sweethearts,' their mom said hugging them.

'thanks, mom,' they smiled.

'your mickey mouse pancakes are almost ready,' laurel said.

'actually, i'm not really, uh, hungry,' belly said.

'oh,' their mom said.

cami furrowed her eyebrows, it surprised her, seeing as one of belly's favorite things were the mickey mouse pancakes they'd eat on their birthday, not to mention the hurt look on laurel's face, 'uhm,' cami started..

'shall we open gifts?' susannah asked, saving everyone from the awkwardness.

'oh, you guys are gonna love mine,' jere said pulling out two small boxes.

'let's open them in the living room,' susannah said, grabbing her gifts.

'okay,' cami said taking her spot on the couch, belly doing the same and taking the spot right next to cami on the loveseat.

'open mine first,' laurel said handing them both what looked like books. she'd always given them books for their birthday, but in the end, cami always seemed to enjoy them. belly opened hers first, it was a split book, which meant that on one side there were poems by e.e. cummings, and on the other, there were books by t.s. elliot, 'it's a first edition. i got it from a rare book dealer,' she explained.

'thanks, mom,' belly said. it obviously wasn't her favorite, but it was the thought that counted.

'turn to the bookmarked page,' laurel said, noticing the slight disappointment that belly tried so hard to hide, 'it's your favorite poem,' she told susannah with a smile.

'oh, yeah, i remember susannah teaching us to recite that,' cami said taking a look at the page.

'for whatever we lose...' belly began.