Chapter 20

Nick

My meetings with Phil went great. I had a few producers who had projects that they were working on & wanted me, specifically. I was humbled to say the least. I even did an impromptu audition in the meeting with a producer that was making a film with the year & he really wanted me as the lead. He basically told me the part was written for me & he would send over a rough draft of the script & if I wanted it, to let him know by the end of the following week. It seemed like it was going to be a huge hit & from what I read, I really liked it.

Phil & I went to dinner after our meetings finished up & he asked about Demi. I think he could tell my mind was elsewhere. I told him where Demi was & he listened as I talked about my fears. After we finished eating, Phil went to the restroom & I decided to send Demi a quick text. "Hope your dinner was at least delicious. Miss you. Love you." I didn't hear back for a few minutes, so I got on twitter & my mentions were going insane. I saw that I was being tagged in a ton of posts so I clicked on one. It was a video from a online tabloid site & when I watched the video, I felt physically ill. Demi & Rafe were in the hotel lobby & then they went into the elevator. My heart sank & then my blood boiled when I watched it again & this time I noticed Rafe's hand on her elbow, pulling her. I was fuming when Phil sat back down.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Your face is all red & her jaw is tense." Phil said as he leaned on the table across from me.

I showed him the video & his expression was confusion. He looked up from the phone with one eyebrow raised. "So what? You think Demi is going up to his room to fuck him?"

I let out an annoyed groan & sat my phone on the table. I put my head in my hands & sighed, loudly, almost groaning again. "I don't know, man. I mean I told her he'd try to get her up to his room..." I lifted my head to look at Phil. "And there she is. Doing what I said would happen that she seemed to think wouldn't happen." I swallowed the bile that I felt coming up & took a swig of my beer.

"Okay, to me... that looks like they are trying to get away from the papz. Come on, man. I know Demi & I really don't think she would fuck this guy. Or do anything for that matter. I never thought you could keep falling in love with someone after you initially fall in love with them but you guys prove to me, that it is possible. She loves you more now than she did ten years ago. I see it every time she mentions you. Her whole face lights up like a fucking Christmas tree. And you... you get the dopiest smile on your face when she walks in the room. You guys are solid. Connected. Forever. Stop thinking the worst." Phil leaned back in his chair to guzzle his beer.

I sighed, picking up my phone. "It's not her that I'm worried about. This guy is manipulative. I seriously wouldn't put it past him to hurt her or force himself on her." I hit Demi's number & put the phone to my ear. "I'm calling her." I said to Phil.

"If he hurts her, I think he knows you would kill him. Slowly." Phil said in a deep chuckle.

I lifted my eyebrow at him & nodded, letting him know he was accurate with that statement. I sighed, again, louder as I hit the end button on my phone. "She's not answering."

"Maybe she's driving." Phil offered.

"Maybe." I looked around the restaurant, sucking in my bottom lip. "How far is The Knife from here?" I asked, not looking at Phil.

"Dude. You want to go to his hotel? And do what? Beat the shit out of him? What are you gonna do if they're doing something?"

My eyes darted to look at Phil. "I thought you said Demi would never do anything with him."

"I mean I don't think she would.... but he could drug her or force her or threaten her."

I leaned forward quickly, my heart racing thinking of any of those possibilities. "Then I will kill him for sure. You gonna call our car & have them take us or do I need to call a cab?"