under the table

"You're late.." Lana said sternly when she hopped into my car.

"I know, I'm very sorry. I couldn't get out early and I also couldn't skip the meeting." I actually felt bad because I knew how important this was for her. She's been urging me to meet her father. "You look cute though.."

She wore a pretty floral dress with not much color. It looked good with her neutral make up look.

"Cute?" Lana questioned.

"Hot, sexy, spicy even.. is that what you wanted?" I asked in return as I pull out of the drive way.

"Not necessarily, but thank you. You just never use that word with me."

"There's never been a time where I needed to use it. When you're with me, you are dressed much more provocative."

"Yeah, I guess you're right.."

As we are nearing her father's house, I ask her about my outfit.

"Do you think he'll mind what I'm wearing?" I nervously ask. I chose the worst pair of jeans to wear.

"No, don't worry about that. My dad isn't the type to care about what you have or what you don't." She rambles on. "He's down to earth and chill about everything."

"Ok, that's good." I was thinking he'd kick me out for wearing jeans I bought late last year.

We park in front of his house and walk up to it. Before Lana knocks, she turns to me. "Breathe with me, in and out.." I do as I'm told while she does the same. "Don't be nervous, babe. Remember just be yourself, no one's going to judge you." Lana said easing my nerves.

She's done a great job throughout our relationship helping me with my anxiety and I'm thankful for that.

I give her a quick peck on her lips and smile. "Here we go.." she whispers giving me an excited squeal. She knocks twice and sees Chuck open the door.

"Chuck?" Lana questions. "What are you doing here?"

"Dad asked us to be here.." Chuck replies. I was kinda glad she was here to be honest. She really knows how to move the conversation around when it gets awkward.

"Us? Who's us?" Lana retorts.

"Charlie and I. Dad said you wanted to have dinner.. Is there a problem?"

"Yes, actually, there is Chuck. I wanted to have dinner so I could present Y/n to dad!" Lana yelled Chuck clearly upset that's she here.

"Babe, it's okay-" I get cut off by an incoming voice that I knew wasn't Charlie.

"Chuck, who's at the door?" The voice rounds the corner and there stands Lana father.

"Oh it's Lana! Chuck, let your sister in." He tells her.

Did he even notice me? Oh gosh, maybe he didn't see me because of the lighting.

I head inside and Chuck side hugs me. She mouths the word relax to me. All I could think of is the fact that I could have been ignored. How could relax when I was ignored.

"You brought a friend?" I hear her father ask Lana.

"Actually, dad, I've been wanting you to meet someone special to me.." Lana starts. She then turns and grabs my hand, pulling me closer to her. "This is Y/n, my- she's my girlfriend," she looks towards me and smiles.

I face her father, awaiting a response. "It's very nice to meet you, Y/n. I'm Rob!" He greets nicely. "I knew you were hiding something, now I know you were hiding someone. Even better!" He smiled to both of us.