Chapter Nineteen

This time, Luna's in the front seat and John is in the back while Sherlock drives. They're on their way to Baskerville and as they approach the complex, Luna observes that there are lots of military personnel guarding the place, walking the perimeter etc. Luna tries to remember anything her parents may have said about it, while looking at vantage points and possible exits.

Sherlock drives up to the gates and a military security guard holding a rifle raises a hand. As Sherlock stops the jeep, the man walks around to the driver's window.

"Pass, please," Sherlock reaches into his coat pocket and hands him a card "Thank you," The security guard walks away with the pass. At the front of the vehicle, another security man encourages a sniffer dog to check the jeep, presumably for explosives.

"You've got ID for Baskerville. How?" John asks very quietly from his place in the middle seat of the back.

"It's not specific to this place. It's my brother's. Access all areas. I, um ..." he clears his throat "... acquired it ages ago, just in case,"

"Just in case huh?" Luna smiles

The security guard swipes Sherlock's pass through a reader at the gate room. The screen shows a fairly small photograph of Mycroft and names the card holder as Mycroft Holmes, giving him Unlimited Access and showing his security status as 'Secure (No Threat)'.

"Brilliant,"

"What's the matter?" Sherlock looks at John through the rear-view mirror

"We'll get caught,"

"No, we won't – well, not just yet" Sherlock smiles a bit

"Caught in five minutes. 'Oh, hi, we just thought we'd come and have a wander round your top-secret weapons base'. 'Really? Great! Come in – kettle's just boiled.' That's if we don't get shot,"

"John," Luna starts, turning to look at him "Shut up,"

The gates begin to slide open as the security guard comes back over to the car "Clear!" The dog handler starts.

"Thank you very much, sir," the main security guard says, and Sherlock also thanks him before moving the car through the gates.

John's shocked as they ride through "Mycroft's name literally opens doors,"

"I've told you – he practically is the British government. I reckon we've got about twenty minutes before they realise something's wrong,".

Sherlock drives up to the main complex, he parks the car and he, Luna and John get out. Another soldier leads them through barriers and towards an entrance to the main building. As they walk, Sherlock looks around at all the military men patrolling the area, many of them armed. Even the scientists in lab coats are being escorted. As they approach the entrance, a military jeep pulls up and a young corporal gets out.

"What is it? Are we in trouble?"

"'Are we in trouble, sir?'" Sherlock corrects

"Yes, sir, sorry, sir," Nevertheless, he steps in front of them and holds out his hands to prevent them getting nearer to the entrance.

"You were expecting us?"

"Your ID showed up straight away, Mr Holmes. Corporal Lyons, security. Is there something wrong, sir?"

"Well, I hope not, Corporal, I hope not," Luna hides her smile better this time. She puts on a stoic face.

"It's just we don't get inspected here, you see, sir. It just doesn't happen," Lyons says bluntly