Chapter 30

7th December 2019

RENEE

The next two days ran in the blink of an eye, where all of us prepped for the journey to the Arbor Vitae.

Phyllis chose to grow extra-paranoid, from triple-checking every crystal she'd given me, to drinking tea a million times a day. As time progressed, every sentence of hers turned to vague advice or a random philosophy that only Fergus, her boyfriend, could understand.

Phyllis's famous incense had finally made an appearance, now wafting around the house like a poltergeist and inducing asthma in all of us. Surprisingly, Sam was fond of it, making him permanently stay over at Clover's house, since he considered it to be 'free weed'.

"This isn't weed," Clover could be heard correcting him vehemently. She was still bitter over the fact that he'd decided to be buddies with Chantelle.

"Chan would love this," Sam remarked, dazed and absent-minded, only realising later that he'd been talking to Cloves, who marched away, annoyed.

Noah stood in the corner, trying to hide his laughter at the situation. He hadn't noticed me creeping up to him until I'd punched him hard in the elbow.

"Ow, Ren, what's that for?" He complained, rubbing his arm.

"Did you forget that I'm naturally violent?" I gave him my sweetest smile.

"Maybe, I did," He smirked. "But I'll never forget how cute you look when you punch me."

I was about to punch him again, but his words flattered me, and I stood there, blushing at his statement like a lovesick girl. Noah, being the opportunist he was, used my inaction to corner me against the wall, my fist in his left hand, while his right hand rested on my waist. I peered up at him, entranced by his stare, now gentle yet intense, steady yet soft, a blend of contradictions that made me tongue-tied.

"We're not alone," I whispered, as he neared me.

"Sam is stuck in his Realm," Noah joked, pinning my wrist against the wall.

"Cloves can enter any minute," I reminded.

"I've caught her in worse situations with Mike," He answered swiftly, his breath falling upon my face.

Woah, someone was determined today.

"Like what?" I asked curiously, wrapping my free hand around his neck.

"Like this," He muttered, before placing a searing kiss against my collarbone. I gasped at the suddenness and felt his smile on my skin, the slow kisses inducing me into a weird coma. On and on he continued, almost making me collapse on the pleasure of something so simple.

"Noah," I breathed out, struggling to think straight. I heard him let out a chuckle, before he moved up my neck, to kiss my jaw.

I don't think he's ever kissed me like this, this slow persistent way that could melt snow into scorching sand. The way it felt like a story with no words, a song with no music, the gap that filled me more than the Arbor Vitae ever could.

And we were just kissing.

I turned my face so that my lips found his, soft and warm from all the kissing he'd been doing. My fingers dug into his hair, pulling him closer and kissing him with the remaining strength that was left.

Which was surprisingly more than I'd estimated.

"Philly, relax! It's all going to be over in a few hours, thanks to your preparations!" Came Fergus Smith's haunting voice from the doorway.

I pulled back, almost horrified to be found making out with this intensity. Noah caught onto my drift, pulling me into a bear hug like we'd been doing the most innocent thing in the world.