Chapter 29

5th December 2019

ISAAC

It was a black horizon.

So dark that I couldn't see much, from hints of purplish clouds, to vague silhouettes of obsidian mountains that blended into the sky. I'd never felt the absence of stars more acutely, nor the soft moonlight that night brought along with her.

This was a place mankind still hadn't tapped into.

The edge of the Before Realm. The first place that had sprung into existence.

Some astrophysicists would give anything in their life to know what this place was, would sell their very beings into cracking the greatest code in history.

Which is why, even I didn't know where exactly I was. I could guess that I was inside the bowels of a black hole, but I wasn't too sure anyway.

If only I had the full potential of my Enlightened power!

I clenched my fists, as her face swam before me. Shay was back at the Astrascends, cuddling with Violet as they watched a movie. I scoffed at how her power radiated around her, how her plain green eyes now had a powerful stare locked in them. How her unruly hair shined in the dark room, her locks so smooth and silky with the magic of the Enlightened.

She was... Breathtaking. It was as if my power had given her a makeover.

I watched her for a few moments as Violet's fingers wrapped around Shay's, before she faked a yawn. Leaning her head upon Shay's shoulder, Violet pretended to fall asleep, only to be in a close proximity with her.

I couldn't believe that Shay would let random human scum get close to her. Didn't she know better, that unregistered Spirits weren't to be messed around with?

If only I could march into the Astrascends and yank my power off her hands! As stupid as Shay was, she'd been surprisingly smart this time, proofing the Astrascends from me and hiding the secret entrance. I'd spent a week trying to get through, before giving up and working on other pressing matters.

Like saving the Astrascends from their doom.

Doom which Shay had believed that I'd concocted from the pure evil in my heart.

"Isaac!" Came a happy voice from behind me.

I opened my eyes in horror, wondering who in this universe of madness would find me here.

Then Melody Davies hopped into my view, her amber eyes round with delight as she smiled at me.

"Isaac! There you are! I was worried that I was going to lose you!" She laughed, instantly bringing back that scowl on my face.

"How did you find me again, Melody?" I asked, exasperated.

I'd run into her a few days ago, where she'd begged me to find Noah and unite her with her love. The spell had completely taken over her, her eyes glazed with pink as she went on and on about a guy she barely knew.

Obviously, I'd refused to help her. Neither was I Cupid, uniting couples since eternity and nor was she Juliet, with a real love story.

So I'd denied, telling her that the Enlightened required my service, and that I had to leave immediately.

Little did I know that it wasn't the last of Melody Davies.

"I've been following you for the past one week," Melody blurted out. "Please Isaac, you're the only one who can help me."

I sighed.

Why did I have to deal with problems like this?

"Melody," I faced her, realising that breaking the truth to her was the only way she'd get out of this situation. "You're under a spell."