PROLOGUE

August 2019- November 2019

Noah Stark was in pain.

It wasn't unprecedented, everybody knew that he had been doomed when he'd been chained to the Pit of Darkness. It's just that, no one knew how doomed he would be, how messed up his situation really was.

Six months ago, Noah had met Renee when she faced a near-death experience. Even though he was a Spirit Guide and she was a human, their relationship had blossomed over a common goal: to hide her from the evil ISA, an authoritarian society that believed that their way was the only right way.

As time flew, they built a secret Realm, pushed themselves beyond their capabilities, and fell deeply in love with each other, all in two and a half months. By the end of it, Renee even managed to reach the famed White Realm, where she met the Enlightened. It was truly an honour.

And then the evil ISA entered the scene, framed their deeds as crimes, tossed Noah into the Pit of darkness for five years, while Renee had all her memories erased.

In other words, their lives couldn't get worse.

Renee was certainly in a much better place than Noah. The ISA had been light on her since she was a human, and she had preserved all her erased memories in a valuable PDF, which is a story for another day. She was slowly trying to bounce back into her Spiritual abilities, in the hope that she could get Noah out of the Pit one day.

There were other well wishers for Noah too. Shay Williams, a fellow Spirit Guide promised to break him out of the Pit, with the help of a liberalist group, called the Astrascends. Her boyfriend Isaac, a member of the Enlightened would assist them too, trying to be as discrete as possible.

Of course, Noah Stark had no idea that there were so many people outside the Pit who deeply cared about him. He was blinded into believing that his existence was meaningless and that nothing mattered.

Anyone with eyes could see that the Pit was devouring him, feeding off every wonderful quality of his that had been deeply cherished and loved. It tortured him, drove him to the brink of insanity, even tried to kill his very essence such that he would be nothing more than negative emotions swirling around in the Pit.

Needless to say, Noah Stark was resilient. For the first week, Noah Stark surprisingly kept his cool, convincing himself that it was the Pit that was evil and not him.

By the first month, however, Noah Stark wasn't so sure, since his flaws and limitations had been magnified by ten folds. His confidence still kept him sane, and he still knew that he would find a way out of everything.

However, at the end of two months, Noah began to have constant hallucinations, thoughts and memories that distorted his reality. The Pit was slowly driving him insane, torturing his poor soul and hurting him to the point where dissolving into it was starting to look better.

And yet, Spirits lived for eternity. Noah knew that he'd have to carry this pain throughout his life and battle every insecurity that was currently destroying him. He had to survive, he had to get out of the pit, he just had to, all for her.

For Renee.

She was the only thing that kept his mind sane, his heart beating and his whole being anchored to normalcy.

She was his reality.

Unfortunately, this was well known among others.

And it was intended to be used for their benefit.

*****

(A/N : Just letting you guys know that it was a summary of the previous book. This book, Realm of Noah, starts from the next chapter.)