Chapter 25

2nd December 2019

NOAH

Renee's house was the complete opposite of Clover's.

Everything was set in its right place, with the beige sofa blending with the walls, complemented by the creamy white curtains and carpet. The fireplace was lit, and the mantelpiece was decorated with pictures of the family, depicting happier times.

My eyes drifted to the wall on my right, where a large picture of Mike had been put up. It was taken in mid-laughter, with his eyes crinkled at the sides, and his mouth set in that easy grin that was unique to him. His hair was light brown as Mrs Durvont's, wavy in the wind and falling effortlessly onto his face. Exactly how Clover had always described.

Under his picture was a bronze plaque with writing. I peered closer, trying to read out what it said.

MICHAEL REUBEN DURVONT

I try not to laugh at my jokes, but we all know I'm hilarious.

I cracked a smile.

Mike Durvont didn't deserve to die that young. He still had so much to accomplish in the human world.

Maybe he'd still be living if evil J hadn't murdered him.

"That was my son," Mrs Durvont started in a low voice. "He was a member of the LOLtube, known as Jeff Catcher."

"I've met him, Mrs Durvont," I told her softly. "He already knew about Ren and me, back in August."

"Did he?" Mrs Durvont threw Ren a pointed look. "And I'm here, just finding out about you two!"

"Mom, it's a long story," Renee started.

"But Mike got to meet him!" She scoffed. "Tell me, Renee, am I the kind of mother who would forbid you from dating someone? I'm like your friend, and you don't have to hide these things from me!"

"I've tried telling you-"

"No, you haven't. I've had to forcibly extricate information from you. I don't know how you kids manage to date with helmets, but whatever it is, I want to know what my daughter is up to!"

"Fine," Renee sighed. "Mom, I'm sorry I haven't introduced Noah sooner. And yes, we met through helmets."

"How does that work?" Mrs Durvont asked, now more curious than furious.

"Well, I had a similar helmet, Mrs Durvont, and one day Renee's signal randomly picked up on mine," I told her, trying to make up a sensible story.

"Really? What happened after that?" She asked eagerly.

"We would talk to each other every day. Then we began to meet," I explained.

"Is that why you went to Clover's grandmother's house?" Mrs Durvont asked Ren, who simply nodded.

"This is so interesting!" She grinned at us. "I can't imagine Renee finding love, she's always stuck in her room, fiddling with screws and wires and keeping to herself all day. I've been worrying so much about her, wondering why she wasn't like the other girls, but now," She did a little dance with her hands. "I am very happy!"

I smiled back at her, before noticing that Ren had a stony look on her face. She appeared as if she wanted to retort, but she was keeping the words down, just for my sake.

I wondered how Mrs Durvont had a knack to sound polite, and yet actively insult her daughter while ending the conversation on a positive note.

The ISA would've gone insane trying to figure out what was going through her head.