Chapter 28

5th December 2019

NOAH

The minute Augustus had spoken, the Pit drew back its smoky tethers from Johannes, almost stunned that he'd had asked it to retaliate.

"There are plenty of opportunities for you to torture Johannes," Augustus continued in a loud voice, "But today, I need to speak with him and Noah."

As the Pit curled like a tamed beast, I noticed Fergus watching the whole thing in awe. I bet he'd never seen Lord Augustus do it before.

"Johannes," Augustus called out sternly. "I do not have the time or patience to see you being consumed by the Pit."

"How are you so inconsiderate?" I gasped at him, stunned at how nonchalant he was at a struggling Johannes.

"Noah Stark, have you forgotten that it was I who had inflicted this torture upon him in the first place?" Augustus narrowed his eyes at me. "Seeing him suffer is exactly what I'd demanded."

This man was unbelievable.

"You're worse than him," I shook my head.

"Do not talk to me like that," He gave me a warning look. "I'm the head Spirit."

I would've retorted, but Johannes was stirring, sitting up weakly and looking at Augustus. There was a resigned look in his gaze, and his dark eyes looked empty and hopeless.

Like he'd been through hell and back.

"There you are," Augustus sneered. "I was wondering when you'd regain consciousness."

"Sorry for the inconvenience, Augustus," Johannes spoke, his voice devoid of its usual mirth. "What is the purpose of your visit?"

Augustus gestured us to follow him outside the Pit, to the reception room right next to it. This place was clean and fresh, nothing like the slimy Pit and all its tortures. We sat upon the chairs, while Augustus stood before us, folding his fingers together.

"Are you okay?" I asked Johannes telepathically.

I didn't know why I was this worried. But something about seeing him powerless was unsettling.

"I'm fine, Noah," He answered breezily, but I could see that his expression was taut.

Augustus cleared his throat. I wondered if he could hear us communicate.

"What is it, Augustus?" Johannes asked tiredly.

"Melody Davies has been missing for over a week," Augustus announced. "And I think you two are responsible for her disappearance."

I gaped at Augustus, my mouth half-open. Ever since I'd reached the Earthly Realm, I'd forgotten about Melody's existence. It looked very suspicious in the eyes of Augustus, who'd enchanted me to fall in love with her.

According to this, I should've been the first person to notice her disappearance.

"Us?" Johannes's voice rang through the silence. "We barely know the girl. I mean, I don't know her. Noah obviously does..."

We sat there, watching Augustus. His beady eyes swivelled back and forth between me and Johannes, trying to pounce upon any clue that might lead to Melody.

"When was the last time she'd visited you in the Pit?" Augustus barked, as he glared at me.

"Um... A week ago? Two weeks ago?" I massaged my forehead, trying to look convincing. "I don't know the exact date, Lord Augustus. The Pit makes it hard to keep a track of the time."