Fiery Flames

Anxiety did not leave Yudhishthira while they remained in Varnavrata. Too many strange things surrounded them, and he could not forget about the horror of Karna, who accompanied them on the road. Arjuna arrived and the brothers, to whom Yudhishthira had told of his suspicions, agreed that they should be on their guard. They did not eat without first giving a taste to the rat that Nakula had brought from the nearby forest, and did not part with their weapons. They did not leave their mother alone even for a minute. Sahadeva and Arjuna circled the entire palace several times, laying out possible escape routes.

“Krishna said that if there is no opportunity to fight, one must run. And I see again that he was right,” Arjuna laughed when they returned, and Bhima poked him in the side with a smirk, knocking him over on the pillows:

"Don't even think about dressing me up in a sari!"

They didn't say anything to Kunti, not wanting to frighten her once again and deprive her of restful sleep. Yudhishthira watched Purocana, noticing how he became increasingly worried and startled at the most common questions, such as about the kitchen.

“If you want, I can ask him what's going on here. He will answer, do not hesitate,” Bhima offered, but Yudhishthira refused.

He wasn't entirely sure how to deal with the conspirators, and he doubted that even if he could get Purocana to talk, it would help. Purocana was not a righteous person and agreed to commit crime out of fear or for money. But it was not he who conceived villainy, which means that it is unfair to punish him alone. Punishment was to overtake Duryodhana and Shakuni, and now Yudhishthira really wanted to bring them retribution: for the mother, whom they endangered against all laws, for the brothers, all five. But he knew that indignation is a bad adviser, and therefore he hesitated, trying to calm his mind. In addition, Yudhishthira needed to come up with a plan that would prevent Uncle Dhritarashtra from defending his beloved son from justice again.What could convince a man who had already let murder go unpunished once? A man who demanded that Yudhishthira commit a ridiculous and unrighteous act and voluntarily give up his right in favor of someone who clearly demonstrated that he did not deserve the right? A man whose heart was blind with attachment is much more hopeless than sightless eyes?

Yudhishthira was thinking, but time passed and nothing happened. Then a messenger arrived from the capital with a sack of rice and a message from his uncle, and Yudhishthira distinctly felt the clouds above his head. That's one of them should have been struck by lightning. He waited. He was getting ready. Probably only because he waited and prepared, they all waited and prepared, they managed to escape quietly and unnoticed, slipping out through a hidden exit before the fire had time to close it.

The palace burned behind them like a huge funeral pyre, and the night was hot, but Yudhishthira still felt cold inside. It was not fear, but bitter resentment and bewilderment. He had always known that Duryodhana hated him and his brothers, but now he felt it more than ever. The fire seemed to absorb all the fury and ruthlessness of the Kauravas, and even from afar, its light and roar seemed ominous.

"When we get back, I swear I'll crush Duryodhana's head!" Bhima growled softly, and his heavy steps reverberated on the ground so that Yudhishthira could almost hear the crackling of the breaking bones of his brothers.

Nakula picked up:

“Duryodhana must pay!”

“No, children,”

Yudhishthira turned around in surprise and saw that his mother had fallen behind and was standing a couple of dozen steps behind. In the darkness, her face was almost invisible, only a silhouette lit orange around the edge, but Yudhishthira had no doubt that she was crying.