Beginning Of The End

- My friend!

Karna quickly entered Shakuni's chamber, where Duryodhana was again, lying, in front of them a game of board with his uncle. It would have been better to find Duryodhana alone, but Karna could not hesitate, trying to catch the right moment: the people left at the gate were waiting for him, to whom he promised that he would intercede for them.

"My friend, I must ask you."

He approached Duryodhana and sank down beside his bed, feeling dreary unease. A few months ago, Karna would have had no doubt that he would be listened to, but now he was afraid that Duryodhana would only get angry again.

But he had to at least try, because he promised people, promised Vrishali.

Shakuni got up from his seat, narrowed his eyes, Karna felt his sharp predatory gaze and, even without looking, saw a wide sly smile.

"Is there any difficulty at the gate, Anga-raj?"

- No. We closed the gate at the behest of King Dhritarashtra. But, my friend, I ask you to turn to your father - let him allow at least those whose close relatives have already left for Indraprastha to leave.

Duryodhana's face darkened and Karna squeezed his wrists tighter, as if he was afraid of losing or getting lost and not hearing the desired answer.

- Why should I do this? Duryodhana asked sharply. "They are subjects of Hastinapur and belong to us. They have no right to run!

Because being considerate is what get you love and acceptance in return.................,

Karna almost exclaimed and again swallowed the reproach, which now would only inflame Duryodhana. The minister Vidura spoke at the council, and the great Bhishma was completely right this time: people are held back not by force, but by love. But King Dhritarashtra did not want to hear them, bewildered by the speeches of Shakuni, and Duryodhana did not at all want to think about other people's difficulties, preoccupied with his own grievances. And although his indifference could not be considered a sin, from which Karna swore to keep him, it carried evil.

"I'm not asking you to let everyone go, my friend," Karna insisted. - Only those whose families have already left. What should children do without a father and mother, and sisters without brothers? There aren't many of them. And they will be grateful.

Duryodhana escaped from his grasp and jumped up.

"I don't need their gratitude! I need their obedience! And you," he looked furiously at Karna, literally incinerating him with his eyes, -"maybe you also want to go to Indraprastha and swear allegiance to Yudhishthira ?! You only glorify him all the last months, although you serve me!"

Karna, too, jerked to his feet, Duryodhana's words hitting him, making him choke with resentment and guilt. Duryodhana was wrong, but almost right, and the line between his erroneous suspicions and the truth seemed thinner than a hair.

- My life belongs to you!

Karna exclaimed breathlessly,

"Ever since you gave me the opportunity to fight Arjun, hold my weapon! If you want - I will give my life, if you want - I will go to Indraprastha and fight your enemies! I will never swear allegiance to Prince Yudhishthira! I will serve you even if you make mistakes! But I am your friend, which means I have to tell you when you are doing them, and now is such a moment! When the road breaks, the horse will not rush into the abyss, even if the rider does not see it either. Listen, my friend, you have to let these people go,
"-

Karna felt like a taut bowstring with excitement: to announce so sharply that Duryodhana was wrong turned out to be more painful than arguing with the great Bhishma himself.