King Of Cannibals

After the sorcery dissipated and access to the sun and fresh air was opened, breathing in the Rakshasa forest turned out to be much easier. However, on the night after Bhima's wedding and coronation,

Yudhishthira still couldn't sleep. Absolutely everything interfered with him: the changed smells, and the rustles, and the distant songs of the still celebrating Rakshasas, and most of all, the absence of Bhima. It cannot be said that Yudhishthira expected indispensable betrayal, but it was difficult to recklessly trust the Rakshasas, especially after receiving a stab in the back from his own relatives. Yudhishthira did not feel insincerity in Hidimbi's feelings, and at the same time he could not fully trust the customs of the Rakshasas. Although their marriage was considered as legal as a human marriage, Yudhishthira was repulsed and alarmed by the indifference with which the killing of relatives was accepted here.

He tossed and turned half the night, listening to the rustling outside the walls of the hut where they were settled, and his mind still could not find peace and fall asleep. Sahadeva, who was sniffling under his left arm, had been sleeping for a long time, his right side was unpleasantly cold with a draft, despite the fact that it was warm. Wrong void.

There were footsteps outside and excited voices getting closer. They sounded like sharp, staccato barking, and Yudhishthira sat up, listening intently and trying to understand what was being said. Rakshasas spoke not in human speech, but in their own language, and he only caught separate words - the names of Bhima and Hidimbi. Then, as if coming to their senses, the Rakshasas fell silent and passed by, then Yudhishthira lay down again and closed his eyes.

Time dragged on slowly, moments fell one after another, like drops from a very thin crack, each of which at first pours and trembles for a long time, still not wanting to break down. Time after time, Yudhishthira went over the incident in his head, marveling at how they had been persuaded to stay here among nonhumans who considered human flesh to be the best of food. Yes, even killing the previous king. In the lands of Bharata, after such a deed, someone would be declared great sinners, and every king would consider it a feat to declare war on them, but here they would break the law, refuse such an act. Here, even the spilled blood of a brother did not part Hidimbi and Bhima on different banks. It was strange and unsettling, and thinking of them, Yudhishthira painstakingly banished from his memory the dancing flame of Barnavrata.

Nothing in common. There was nothing in common between here and there.

He rolled over on the other side again, and then Arjuna quietly got up, came up and silently sank down next to him, pressing against his back.

“Even if the hut is set on fire, we will have time to wake up, and I will use the astra,” he muttered against Yudhishthira’s shoulder. It won't actually happen, I'm sure.

Yudhishthira did not notice how sleep fell on him and wrapped him in a thick veil.

The morning started with noise. Yudhishthira and his brothers ran out into the street, not knowing what to expect - whether the continuation of the celebration of the royal wedding, which in any of the human kingdoms would last several days, or a new battle with someone who wanted to return the crown stolen by people.

Bhima and Hidimbi stood in the center of the square,surrounded by rumbling rakshasas. Two of them, whose gray beards must have belonged to venerable elders, and whose ferocious faces must have belonged to warriors in the prime of their rampage, seemed ready to clash.

- Enough! Bhima barked, causing the disputants to instantly fall silent and look respectfully at him. He looked around and broke into a relieved smile when he saw Yudhishthira. - Brother!

- What's happening?

Yudhishthira stepped closer, feeling an involuntary curiosity. What did the Rakshas want from Bhima - a duel, gifts, or maybe a court? Human kings always ruled the court, and although it was still strange for Yudhishthira to think that cannibals obey traditions and laws in the same way as people, it would be natural if they also went to the ruler for just decisions