Karna's Reigns

Hei guys!

There goes the story. I actually have to update some parts of the main story even though we all know it. I can't simply skip Pandavas parts assuming we all know because now their thinking will be slightly different Karna will have a part in it. So, please enjoy my story. I will update fast as not to make my readers bored. But you'll should also grace me with some comments and votes. However this chapter is dedicated to @luvbuks22
One of my dedicated readers.

Lots of Love for all of you who are reading with me patiently.

**†*****†***

Karna's Reign

Karna entered Anga Pradesh shortly after noon. He was not welcomed, as was the case at Hastinapur when the kings arrived, but this was more of a relief: solemn salutations, despite the fact that he was actually exiled here for a heinous crime, would have become an evil and cruel mockery.

The chariot rode leisurely down the street, behind the warriors, who at the last moment were detached with him by one of Bhishma's assistants. A very small detachment, and even that one was needed only as a tribute to tradition: Karn would have dealt with any of the enemies himself. Passers-by stared at them and chatted in surprise, Karna barely noticing their idle curiosity. He was overwhelmed with thoughts about what to do now.

The pain and wrathful despair that Karna brought from the funeral pyre of Queen Kunti burned out, leaving only the cold ashes of doom. Whatever happened in the future, whatever victories would await him and Duryodhana, nothing could undo the sin committed. Karna knew that whatever he achieved would now taste bitter ashes.

However, that didn't mean he didn't have to do anything anymore. He still carried out the orders of Duryodhana, and in one way or another he was a king. The kings, on the other hand, bore the burden of duties that cannot be shifted onto other people's shoulders. Should Karna take on these duties if at any moment Duryodhana could decide that he needed him and call him? Or was it not worth interfering with the man who ruled Anga Pradesh at the behest of the great Bhishma for more than a year?

In any case, he needs to perform the necessary rituals. But everything else: court, taxes, stocks, trade, all sorts of other things that Minister Vidura and Prince Yudhishthira talked about? The spiers of the royal palace rose ahead of them over the roofs of the city houses, and Karna was still undecided which was the right thing to do. He really didn't want to make another mistake.

Busy with another circle of fruitless reflections, he did not immediately hear the noise, but when he heard it, he ordered the driver to drive closer.

People gathered in the courtyard in front of one of the houses. The crowd muttered with excited curiosity, and above the general rumble, women's cries were distinctly heard.

- It's not fair! Not fair! It's a lie! You are all lying!

A pair of warriors stepped forward, pushing the people in front of the chariot. Soon Karna saw two servants almost pushing a short, plump woman in a widow's veil, down the stairs. She screamed and ran back. Several angry men stood at the door to the building, one wearing a judge's necklace, the rest - either landowners or merchants. A portly gentleman with a bushy beard shyly hid his eyes and spoke quickly to the judge in a low voice, bowing often.

- What's happening? Karna asked, and his question was unexpectedly loud, wedged between two of the woman's cries.

Dozens of eyes flickered to him, briefly reminiscent of the crowd in the arena at Hastinapur. Karna shook his head, again feeling the weight of the royal crown, and the delusion subsided.