Bitter Truth

-Why do you think that they want to insult you?

Yudhishthira asked, feeling himself starting to get angry.

They were sitting on the bank of the river again, the sun rose higher and higher, and the day was already getting hot, only a pleasant coolness was drawn from the water. But much stronger than the sun, Karna's bad mood burned. Since the camp for swayamvar was announced, he had been tense almost all the time, and the longer it went on, the more tense Yudhishthira felt from this. He met with Karna again and again, almost every day, but now it turned from pleasure into hard work. And it is unlikely that this could end well.

What happened this time, Yudhishthira already knew: the day before, Mr. Jasvinder again came to him. This man now commanded Yudhishthira's deepest respect for his devotion to both Bhishma's grandfather and Karna, as well as his ability to endure their brother's stubbornness and hard temper.

It was possible to talk to Karna today only because Yudhishthira knew in advance what to ask. And he was struck by how different the assessment of events in the mouth of Karna. Yudhishthira fleetingly thought that if someday it falls to him to make a judgment, then you should never believe the witnesses, even if they are extremely sincere. It cannot be said that he did not know this before, but now the old truth shone especially brightly before him.

- Why do you think that they want to insult you? Your lineage, of course, should cause concern, but this does not mean that every kshatriya or brahmin wants to stab you.

“You are kind, Prince Yudhishthira,” Karna replied sharply. “Kind and noble, and I remember that you even agreed to forgive me. But I have not met another one of the same kind.

This is not true, Yudhishthira wanted to object, but it is unlikely that a direct accusation of deceit would make Karna listen, rather the opposite. Yudhishthira tried to soften his words.

“I don’t accuse you of lying, but I find it hard to believe. Doesn't my mother give you favor? Didn't Bhagavan Parasurama himself agree to take you on as a disciple?”

Karna's face suddenly contorted in genuine pain.

“Bhagwan Parashurama...” he began unexpectedly in a dull voice and fell silent. Yudhishthira looked at him, trying to understand what it meant. Swallowing, Karna met his gaze with sparkling eyes and finished, “Bhagawan Parasurama abandoned me when he found out that I was not a brahmin. ”

It took Yudhishthira some time to comprehend these words, his mind refusing to accept the explanation that suggested itself. Karna's chest heaved heavily, and he didn't say another word. After a long pause, Yudhishthira finally decided to clarify:

“Did you say "know"? How could he not know whom he takes as a student?”

Karna licked his lips quickly, then tossed his head in a now-familiar stubborn movement, as if about to charge into battle or jump off a cliff into an abyss. But that also changed, coming a guilt, pain and a little mumble,

- I lied.

For a few moments, Yudhishthira felt genuine horror. Never before had the depravity of a lie presented itself to him in all its ugliness, even when his mother confessed her mistake to them.

In any case, their mother was not lying, she was... silent. Karna of all people he always found too easy to read, too truth spoken for his own good. How did he lied so convincingly that he fooled a God at what age he was merely fourteen back then.

- But why? Yudhishthira breathed out in shock. “Why didn’t you demand justice, would the bhagavan refuse you? You have truly been treated unfairly! Why?..”