Chapter: 10

Chapter 10:

Elin instinctively backed away and a little more. He lowered his stance into a defensive one; as he looked at the demon. It was protecting it summoner, and the wound on its arm had already regenerated. Elin felt his knee buckle due to his injury; he clenched his sword tighter, even though it was excruciatingly painful.

Rebecca had killed hundreds of thousands of these lesser demons without any problem. Maybe it was the incongruity of his mind and body, or his inability to use aura, or his technique. In any case, this fight was borderline impossible to win.

"Should I run?" A thought came in Elin's mind as he lowered his stance to a defensive position.

This fight will be the end of him, if it continued.

"There's no way I can die right now! I have so many things I need to do, so many people I need to protect, there's-", He thought to himself, as a bead of sweat rolled down his face, under the silver armor.

The faces of his brother came to his mind. The face of the citizens in titan's canyon. They flashed before his eyes.

"ha...hahaha!", He laughed.

The dark mage was confused at Elin's laugh. He took leverage on the wall as he stood up. His legs felt weak when he fell on the ground, after Elin's attack which destroyed most of the demon's hand. He regained his posture.

.

.

.

"What was I thinking? Of course I can't run. I need to protect my people." Elin steeled himself; this was not a place to doubt his beliefs.

That was right, he couldn't run. This thing was too close to the estate, and if he ran now, it would destroy the town and put every one she cared for at risk.

He changed his stance to an offensive one.

"Phew" The dark magician snorted.

"Still willing to fight? Well, ignorance is bliss I suppose! Or, is this blind courage?" The dark mage continued.

The dark magician refuted Elin's behavior. This was already his victory. The demon had been summoned and there was no one in the town that could possibly be stronger than Elin. So, once he fell, the town was over.

He was counting his eggs before they hatched; of course he had no way of knowing this fact. But, he was fighting Elin, someone who has killed thousands of those vile creatures, he knew a way.

The demon was now lowering his stance on the offensive. His long skinny hands almost touched the ground as his stance lowered more mimicking that of a beast. He was ready to lunge at his opponent. His expression didn't show any change either; it was still as disgusting as before.

A wave of relief came over the dark mage. The dark mage was doubtful if he could beat an expert level swordsman even if he was using all his strength, but now it was not even a problem. With the demon by his side, he would win. His face distorted into an ugly smile mimicking the demon's as he pondered over the sacrifices he could get from this declining town.

He knew help would arrive very late so, even though the sacrifices would be less, at least it will give him some head start.

"he...he...ha-ha....HA...HAHHAHAHAH" the maniacal laughter spread throughout the forest as, the atmosphere changed quickly.

***

Elin was ready. He focused on the demon.

Rebecca had killed thousands of these, so, she knew their ins and outs. So, naturally he also knew their behaviors. This was one advantage he had. But, other than that, everything else was against him.