Chapter 12

It was still 9 in the morning, but the sun was already so hot that I had to put on the crappy cap they had given us when we arrived, to prevent my freckles from becoming visible. I rolled up the sleeves of the oversized T-shirt with the FSY logo on the chest and sat down in the shade of a tree. My intention was to be calm, I promise, but when there are two parties that want to fight, there is no stopping them.

I tried to focus my attention on Elisabet, who was having a hard time on the makeshift volleyball court, as she was too short and could never hit the ball well. In front of me, Rut and another girl who was on our team passed by, speaking in whispers. I didn't miss the detail that they did not stop looking at me and, really, I was trying hard to ignore them, but it was impossible for me. Her giggles made the anger inside me boil.

─If you have something to say about me, you can do it out of earshot, please. You're distracting me from the game- I growled, clenching my teeth in a fake smile.

─Why do you think we talk about you?

─I don't care what you talk. Could you do it somewhere else?

─She's always so rude?─ the girl next to Rut whispered.

─Ah... worse. Now she is calm.

I took a deep breath and let it out several times, trying to ignore the anger bubbling up inside me, like a soda that's been shaken and about to explode. I was feeling pretty proud of myself, for a week ago I would have gotten up and started a fight. But I was holding back! And that was quite an achievement... Although it may have given me a stomach ulcer. So much containment could not be good.

But then it happened... Rut and her friend walked past me again and Rut pretended to trip over a rock. As I did, several stones fell on me and one of them hit me on the cheek.

I looked at her incredulously. Did she really want to play that game? Because nobody was better than me at tormenting losers. I know. It wasn't right, but what did they expect? I was no saint, after all.

─Oh, what an uneven ground! I think I've damaged my shoe- said the blonde witch looking at the sole and pretending that she hadn't realized what she had done.

─Are you okay?─ Her friend looked at me out of the corner of her eye without knowing very well how to act. On the one hand, she seemed to want to apologize to me, but on the other hand, she was afraid that Rut would take it the wrong way.

I stood up in front of Rut. I was a bit taller, so her stupid princess smile faded from her lips when she had to lift her head to meet my gaze.

─It's just me or you are looking for trouble?─ my voice sounded grave and I did my best to intimidate her. It worked.

─Oh, let's go Isa. Before this bully does something to us-  Rut took her dear friend's arm and they walked away from her, sitting in the shade of a different tree, but not far from me.

As soon as I sat down again, I realized that the match was already over and Elisabet's team had lost resoundingly. She approached with her head lowered and, wiping her sweat, she sat down next to me.

─That was a mess. Sports are not for me, it's clear─ she mumbled discouraged.

─You can't be good at everything, Eli─ I patted her on the shoulder a couple of times ─If not, you would be perfect and this is not a world of perfect people.

The young woman smiled, grateful.

─Oh, thank you. I didn't know you held me in such high esteem.

─Of course! Since I arrived, you have taught me more than all the years of chapel accumulated on my back.