𝘴𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘺𝘦; 𝘵𝘸𝘰

╭⋟────────────────────────╮
─────────genya's memoir

Too much time has passed for me to remember what my mother looked like. I daydreamed about her a lot— the auburn colour of her hair, the dimpled smile - it was all I could remember and the rest, I made up.

Then I saw Liya and with that, stood mother. Younger, more terrified, but spitting image of her. Suddenly, a beam of warmth entered my body as if I found my sister and my mother at the same time.

Captured by Fjerdans, she was. Tortured and starved. I didn't let any Healers get to her as I could do everything myself. I didn't want her to be seen by many prying eyes - this Palace is full of people, who try to use everything against you.

I saw her scars - deep and small ones. On her back, arms, stomach and legs. There weren't any fresh ones, the ones made by Fjerdans were already healing.

I didn't ask anything and I didn't touch them. It wasn't my call to get rid of them. I wanted to ask everything. but I couldn't - we were strangers.

The Darkling's look still haunts me. There was joy in his eyes from seeing her and I wanted to throw up. I'd rather look at his soulless eyes, the cruel smirk over and over again than see hope. Especially when that look was dedicated to my baby sister.

My baby sister.

I warned her about powerful men. I warned her that the General is a cruel man, too far deep in discoveries. I told her to be wary and she gave me a nod of thankfulness.

I knew she will be wary, but I underestimated him and his eagerness. I had no idea that her gloomy look will cause this hell to unleash in this Palace. I had no idea that her pain will be the cause of his outrage.

I prayed that he would leave her alone.

Saints, I prayed to you.

I knew Liya will not give in to his charm just like I did. Just like many women did. She was wary of everyone, of me, and most importantly, of him.

But I didn't know that he will give in to her charm.
╰────────────────────────⋞╯