08;

chapter eight,     this is the end

chapter eight, this is the end

𝕷iya

            THE LITTLE PALACE was beaming with the mysterious assassination of General Zlatan. Many thought that the Darkling's visit finally finished this deal, but accusations against him didn't come from West Ravka. Instead, Zlatan's family and other First Army Commanders blamed Shu Han, who was known to send assassins to deal with important matters.

            Even the King knew that one General killed another, but not even he had something to say to the Darkling and went with the story he proposed instead; and for the first time, Liya understood why.

            Liya hasn't seen the Darkling ever since she woke up in her bed after fainting in that dungeon. It has been three days. Other Grisha didn't even note her disappearance from the dining hall, her silent lingering at the back of the class. She finally felt invisible.

            However, she felt like a small child after being scolded and placed in the corner by an angry teacher. Her wish to leave this place was certain and he used his power against her to knock her out and bring her back in here. It angered her, truly angered her, that he thought that he can just have her here and just use her whenever a situation like this will arrive.

            It didn't matter that she was his soldier. That her duty was to serve him and, if needed, give her life for him. All that mattered to her, was that he didn't respect her enough to tell her about the plan. Tossing her rights into it, and getting captured again was pure torture for her. No one deserved to be treated like that, touched like that, and used like that.

            It made her finally understand her role in this society. She was a doormat. People constantly walk over her, stuffing the heels of their boots, and wiping the mud off. Once used, never going to look new again. No one will want it. No one will need it. She was just a thing others stomped on.

            Genya tried to ask what happened, but she didn't cooperate in explaining. After all, the older Safin warned her about powerful men, about the Darkling exactly, and she still put a little ounce of trust in him and it backfired. It wasn't easy to admit that she gave into the velvety voice of his, of his appearance in all of the right moments – Saints, he manipulated her into trusting him so easily.

            It was embarrassing.

            And because of that, she knew she had to leave.

            A set of knocks reached her ears. One short and three fast. It was Genya. Liya didn't reply, knowing she will enter soon and within the opening of the door, a rushed voice reached her:

            "Liya," she impatiently started, "the King is demanding an audience with you."

            Raising from the seat, almost like a rocket, she winced from the pain, grasping the bed with one of her hands since her head got dizzy, "Why?"