02;

chapter two,    the king is a child

𝕯arkling

"THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!" an abrupt snap was complemented by a loud thud of the doors and angry footsteps. Without giving it many thoughts, he calmly placed the letter on the table, raising his head first and only then averting the stare into a very hot-headed Squaller standing in front of his table.

"Let me guess... You are not content with our newest Grisha?" the Darkling leaned back in this chair, looking at the raven-haired beauty.

"Content?" she scoffed, placing her hands on her waist. "You know well yourself that she will not survive in here a day. There is nothing she can learn in here."

The man quirked his eyebrow, "Is that what you're worried about? Her ability to learn?"

Zoya winced, shaking her head in a frustrated manner, "We need soldiers. We need people ready to fight at any given point! Let's say she does learn something but are we supposed to point her in a direction of an enemy in a battle?"

The General noted that Zoya's anger was justified. Everyone knew well that Zoya was very passionate about what they were doing, about their purpose. She was one of the best Grisha roaming in these corridors, an inspiration for younger kids to get better and be like her. With that, developed a certain arrogance, but no one judged her, especially, since she had an amplifier.

"You haven't learned how to control your powers in a day as well. Give her a chance."

Something flashed in her eyes, making her squint them, "Others will rip her to pieces."

"Then make sure they don't."

Zoya stood there, puckering her lips. Silent.

The Darkling grinned, clasping his hands and pushing his index fingers to his chin, "By others you mean you will rip her into pieces."

The woman rolled her eyes, releasing a displeasing grunt, "Her place could be taken by a Grisha that is more capable."

"This is a place for all Grisha. She is a Heartrender and we must accept that. Besides," he stood up, his dark kefta moving in a satisfying manner as he walked to the window, clasping his hands behind his back, gazing through the window, "she is Genya's sister. She would never let her sister leave."

Zoya mumbled something incoherently and he didn't even bother to understand. He knew how Zoya viewed Genya and all about their quarrels. Zoya didn't like that Genya was the Queen's servant and Genya loathed the Squaller's arrogance. Most people here were competing with each other, little groups against other groups to see who was better, who came from a better background. It was ridiculous, but it wasn't his problem to solve as long as they respected him enough to not quarrel in front of him.