04;

chapter four,     monotonic

𝕯arkling

           IT WAS STRICTLY WORK WITH HER. She was always punctual, usually, without an escort, she became a frequent guest in his office. No matter how determined she was, behind those calm eyes she was hiding something that was not letting her express her power. Oddly enough, no matter the fact that he was an Amplifier, nothing apart from reading emotions and changing his heart rate changed.

            Always positioned on the same dark armchair beside the window, hands always clasped between her thighs, posture straight and cheeks slightly flustered – twelve days in a row. At this point, it was getting impossible to believe the monotonic behaviour of hers. The need to shut out her feelings and endure the mockery of other Grisha and the persistent words of his.

            The Darkling needed results. There were none.

            Yet, the urge to break down her walls was growing each day. The sweet, encouraging words seemed to not work with her and he was feeling frustrated.

            On top of that, he received a letter from General Zlatan. Much to his anger, the King worked on something without consulting him and now, the Darkling had a big issue. The King didn't know what he was doing as he had no strategic or logical thinking.

            Ravka was on the edge of a Civil War and even the General had to admit that it was mostly his fault. The Fold was his creation and because of that, the Western part of Ravka, slowly but surely hinted that they wanted independency and the Royal Family was against that.

            It wasn't only the issue about the ports and the manufacture, but it was also about the Ravka that they ruled. No King wanted to lose any lands. But his idiocy was beyond anyone's knowledge and as always, the General was left to deal with the problems he has made.

            The King promised that he will compromise with General Zlatan. And the Darkling wished of nothing more but to kill them both.

            Everyone knew that Zlatan despised Grisha. In fact, he captured them and sold them to Fjerdans for a good amount of money. Zlatan was a General of the First Army, meaning that his and the Darkling's titles were exactly the same. Only both of them wished for different things for their country and their people.

            There were many topics to discuss with Zlatan and the Fold wasn't making the journeys easier as not many dared to cross it – only when it was necessary. However, meeting him wasn't that horrible as he has met that smug bastard a few times before. The Darkling knew what he needed to do and it was time to catch that idiot and behead him in public in order to prevent the Civil War.  

            Sacrifices were necessary to prevent wars.

            Pushing his hands to the table, he leaned on them, letting out a frustrated groan. He didn't like involving Grisha in business like that. Each one of them was valuable in their own and he did everything to protect then. If not for the stupidity of the King—the day he will finally slit that old man's throat will be the happiest day of his life.