06;

chapter six,    the moral of the story

𝕷iya

            THE TREMOR IN HER BODY WAS CAUSING HER TO FEEL DIZZY. Clenching a bucket full of water, she kept on pushing handfuls of water to her mouth, rinsing and spitting out – repeating the action. The bitterness of the vomit was making her sick, and the particles of the castor ricin that was in that tea were burning every inch of her body. She was pretty sure she threw up with blood, but not much could be changed now.

            Drenched in cold sweat, she was shaking. Forcing herself to move away from the bucket, she extended her hand to the side where a towel was placed and she took it, pressing it to her nose as she felt the copper smell surround her lungs. The pain was tremendous, but at least no one saw her throw up since she got taken to her temporary bedroom in General Zlatan's house.

            Saints, he tried to poison the Darkling.

            Hearing a distant knock on the bathroom door, she winced, not wanting for anyone to see her like this. The best thing was for General Zlatan to not know that she almost died—the possibility was still high, she doesn't know if the timing to throw up saved her life or ruined it. In order for this visit to work, whatever the Darkling wanted to achieve, she must appear healthy.

            "Liya, are you alright?" The Darkling's voice reached her ears from the other side of the door and she winced again, feeling the way her head was getting dizzier and dizzier and the need to get out of her clothes was getting unbearable.

            She didn't want for him to see her like this – messed up.

            She took a moment before replying, trying to clear her throat so she wouldn't sound as if she was shaking. Perhaps, he didn't even know his tea was poisoned – of course, he didn't know it. He should not know she drank it for him. "I'm fine, General," her voice was slightly shaky and she had to curse mentally.

            "Liya, open the door. I won't leave if I won't make sure you are fine," he didn't back off and she had to grip the wall beside her, feeling the way her body was leaning forwards, the lulling dizziness taking a grip of her ankles.

            As she was to reassure him that she was just having a moment, she fell to the floor, creating a loud thud. Falling, she leaned forwards, hitting the right side of her forehead into the bathtub she didn't know was there. Wincing in pain, she managed to land on her side, her body twisting in pain and she flinched from the opening door sound.

            "Liya!" the Darkling thundered and soon she felt his hands on her, slipping beneath her and she wailed in pain, feeling that her trembling was only increasing. She tried to tell him to put her down and leave her be, but she was mumbling something she couldn't understand herself, feeling the softness of his kefta and the sheets that she was placed on in a few moments.