07;

chapter seven,     crimson loneliness

𝓐leksander & 𝕷iya

            THE OTHERS DIDN'T TAKE THE NEWS LIGHTLY. One half truly believed that Liya used her powers to seduce the Darkling even if they knew that the powers of a Heartrender that way didn't work on him. The others thought that this was just an alliance that happened after the murder of General Zlatan. It was safe to say that no one believed the General had true feelings for Liya.

            Liya felt even more excluded from the fellow Grisha. She wasn't the most trusted Grisha between them and now her reputation has sunk deep. If she showed up for the dinners from time to time before, she was unseen there now. Since everyone knew that she spent her days in the garden or with Baghra, no one interrupted her. They forgot about her.

            The preparation for the celebration started to take place. The halls were decorated, and there were many maids and guards roaming the corridors. Too many times she was almost blasted with opening doors. And the rushing of the people made her trip all the time. That's why her trip to the gardens became rare – there were just too many people roaming around. Everyone was buzzing with the celebration.

            But she just wanted to go away. This life didn't suit her. She always remembered that peaceful month with Lena before she was hunted down. It was just her, doing what she could do best – making ointments and picking herbs. At least in that way, she had some sort of meaning in this world. Here, she was just another decoration waiting to be discarded.

            Aleksander was a frequent guest and she grew to feel relaxed around him. She was no longer annoyed with his presence even if the shadow of his actions was always there. But he was the only person that kept on seeing her. Genya was too busy with the Queen and Liya understood that completely. After the news of the courting, the Queen was unbelievably sour.

            Now, she was once again in his office, a usual spot for her to be during dinner time. She was standing beside the table, just explaining what she had been doing with Baghra as usual. But as the celebration date came closer, it was worrying her.

            "I wish to leave. At least for the celebration," she admitted.

            "I know that, Liya," he admitted, sitting by the table, in front of her. "But the King will demand for your presence. The courting means you being by my side."

            She wasn't content with that. "So I can't even get sick?"

            "With a palace full of Grisha, there is no such thing as getting sick, my dearest Heartrender."

            He was right. But it was the only escape she could think of.

            "Are you afraid?" Aleksander asked.