2. chemistry.

a/n: nancy and barb aren't friends yet, they'll meet through jordan in this series.

{edited, july 21st 2023, name change.}

jordan woke up the next morning at promptly 6:02 a.m in order to get to school by 7. she brushed her teeth and did her skincare, which included of face wash, lotion, and serum. she put on her favorite pair of baggy jeans and threw her metallica shirt over her torso. she laid back in her bed for a few moments until she heard a slight car honk outside her bedroom window. she grabbed her bag, put on her black high-top converse, and ran to the front door. she turned on her heels to grab an apple from the fruit bowl on their kitchen counter.

when she got into to jonathan's car, immediately he started ranting about how nervous he was to ask nancy.
"woah, slow down." she laughed. he took a gasp for air and started breathing deeply.
"ok, from the top."
"i'm scared, what if she says no? it'll be so awkward. but honestly i don't expect her to say yes." he said with a frown as he pulled out of her driveway.
"no, she's totally going to say yes, she's had eyes on you for months now."
"really?"
"yes! why would i lie to you?" she questioned.
"i don't know." he grinned.

they pulled into jonathan's usual parking spot. but jordan couldn't help but notice steve's bmw parked relatively closer than usual. it's probably nothing, just a coincidence. jonathan and jordan headed their separate ways. jordan had chemistry as her first period. she sat down at her usual table in the back. her friend barb, who usually was her partner, wasn't here today. she sighed when she realized she'd have to do the experiment all by herself.
"hello class," the teacher exclaimed as the bell rang, "today we are going to be investigating the kinetics of color changing iodine." oh great. jordan was not the best at chemical reaction stuff.
"ah, mr harrington. i see you do not have a partner." the teacher spoke once more, which caused jordan to shoot her head up, "why don't you join ms henderson in the back." oh for fucks sake. steve eagerly got out of his seat and moved his stuff next to jordan.  
"hey." he whispered with a smile.
"hi." she replied back, starting to form a blush. the teacher went through the instructions and let the class go to do it on their own.
"so first do we combine the iodine tincture with the distilled water?" she asked. he laughed.
"no um it's with the ascorbic acid."
"oh yeah." she said feeling like an idiot. they small talked for a little while after.
"so how come i barely see you around?" steve asked, eyes full of curiosity.
"oh i don't have very many friends." she started, feeling embarrassed. "i don't get invited to events." he looked away, she couldn't tell if he was making fun of her internally or not, so she continued the experiment. after a few moments steve blurted out,
"hey so there's this party tomorrow night, at tommy's house, you can come with me if you want. you don't have to of course. you can still go not with me, like with jonathan or something." hold the fucking horses, what? jordan looked up at him, was this a joke? he seemed nervous. she gave him a soft smile as she started to blush.
"yeah, i'll go with you, that'd be nice." she replied back.
"wait really?" he asked. "cool, cool, ok um well i can pick you up at your house, around 8?"
"sounds good." she said, looking back down at her paper, to hide how flushed she was. steve harrington just asked her out?
"wear something nice." they finished cleaning up as the bell rang.
"see you all tomorrow." the teacher huffed. steve grabbed his stuff and got up to leave, turned to jordan and winked. jordan smiled in return. oh my.

jordan waited anxiously for lunch. as soon as her fourth period bell rang, she was out of there. she met up with jonathan and barb?
"barb?" jordan exclaimed, "when did you get here?"
"oh, i slept in." barb answered laughing, "how was chem without me?"
"i had to work with steve."
"you've had a lot of interactions with him recently." jonathan nudging jordan.
"oh shut up, it's not like that."
"are you sure?" barb asked, smirking towards jonathan. they all broke into laughter. jordan noticed jonathan's eyes shift towards where nancy was sitting, all by herself.
"you should go ask if she wants to come sit here!" barb said, catching on.
"no, no, that's weird, she'll say no." he replied, looking back down at his plate.
"fine. i'll do it." jordan stated, getting up. she walked across the cafeteria to where she was sat. nancy's eyes met hers as she came up next to her.
"hey! i was wondering if you want to come over and sit with me and my friends." she asked, pointing over to where they're sitting. barb waved, while jonathan just stared.
"oh, sure!" nancy replied, grabbing her tray and bag.
"great, you seem cool so i wanted to introduce myself, i'm jordan." she said with a smile.
"yeah i know who you are." nancy giggled.
"oh right haha." they arrived back at the table, jonathan was flushed.
"guys you know nancy, nancy these are my friends, barb and jonathan." jordan introduced.
"hey!"
"hi!"
"oh hey." jonathan mumbled. jordan nudged him. they all talked for the rest of lunch and invited her to sit with them everyday, which she accepted gratefully.