Chapter 5 - Andreea

As I was left alone with Zack, I got to know him on our way back to the eating area. He was a nice guy which whom I'm sure I can create a bond. He was calm in a way that you want to know more about him. "Do you have any hobbies other than outface Mateo? Which I deeply respect you for." We were walking to the nearest elevator. "Well, I love reading and painting as well."

His eyes widened. "Really? I like painting as well."

"Well, that's one thing we have in common."

"Oh, I'm sure there's more." He murmured in an almost inaudible way.

Trying to find a subject to talk about, I asked him a question. "So, how long have you been working here."

He paused and looked at me. "I started at the same time as Mateo got chosen by his father to take care of the restaurant. It's the only one in the chain that's in Vancouver."

"Do you only work during summer?"

He bobbed his head. "Yes, basically there are full-time waiters during the year, and Noa, Mateo, and I only work during summer. Your friends and Mariam too."

"You must be a really close friend of Mateo right?"

"We could say that."

I felt like I was asking too many questions so I stopped.

A long awkward silence ensues. He called the elevator with his thumb pushing the bottom arrow, and the door automatically opened.

He broke the silence. "So are you dating anyone Andreea?" He pressed the second-floor button and put his brown hair in a low bun. "Nope, I don't." Ironic considering the fact that I'm a hopeless romantic.

"That's very surprising, you're very pretty." He glanced at me up and down.

I've never had one because I've always believed that whenever the right one for me will come, I'll know it. Plus, I had strict parents.  "How about you though? You're not so bad yourself." I giggle changing the subject before I transform into a red traffic light.

He grinned. "Neither do I."

"Good, or else your girlfriend would've come at me for calling you hot." He quickly turned to me. It took me a few seconds to realize what I just said. "I mean, calling you not bad, you know I didn't say hot or anything but I tend to speak my mind out loud at times. Not that this is what I did now but I'm just saying you know?." BRB, digging a hole and burying myself in it.

He approached closer to me. "You're adorable when you get shy." I couldn't step back because I was already leaning on the elevator wall. His eyes were brown which made his freckles stand out. He smelled like summer and ocean a mix I can't explain. Get yourself together you barely know the guy.

He grabbed a strand of my hair, the proximity causing me to stop breathing.

At that exact same time, the door opened followed by a bell sound.

Matteo, Noa, Nour, and Mariam, were standing in front of the elevator looking at us. However, he didn't let go of my hair. So smart of us to stop right in the one elevator leading to the dining area where everyone was.

Naiba.

Mateo cleared his throat raising his brow. "This is your way of teaching new employees?"

"Ew, what the hell?" Mariam quacked and grasped Mateo's arm.

I swear I'm like an embarrassment magnet.

I was still glued to Zack so I pushed him away gently and got out whispering in Nour's ear. "I'll explain to you later." She nodded still wearing a confused look.

A few minutes after, people forgot about it already. This place must be full of drama already. Relationships between coworkers were not forbidden, but that's the last thing I want people gossiping about.

Jeez, I met Zack yesterday and he already got me confused. What if the elevator hadn't opened yet? I zoned out wiping an empty table. C'mon Andreea. I didn't even like the guy or anything, I guess it's because I've never loosened up to one before because of my parents.

I took out my notepad and my pen and started going from table to table. I also managed to serve the customers without dropping anything. Mateo was just a bad luck charm.

The others got back to work after a few minutes of chatting with Zack, except Mariam obviously, she was just following Mateo like a pet. What kind of girlfriend is she? That's if she's one. I don't get why he doesn't just tell her to back off. I mean from what the girls told me, he already convinced his father to fire people because they breathed the wrong way.

I looked around and spotted Nour going to the kitchen.

I've been distracting enough from the elevator incident I need to talk to her now. I headed to the counter and removed my apron. As I turned around to go to the kitchen I bumped into a chest and lost my balance almost falling. I look up and get Déja Vu. He caught me by my elbows.

That's all I needed. Mateo really is always around.

He wore a navy blue shirt with his classic black trousers. Our bodies were so close and his smell was suffocating, yet I was craving to smell it more often. Locking eyes with him, I noticed they were sky blue and mesmerizing.

I mumbled "Sorry." dropping my gaze not feeling like arguing right now.

He didn't let go of me. "Imagine clients witnessing such an obscene scene. Avoid sexual interactions in the building." He let out a sigh looking around us. What the fuck. I remove my arm from his hand violently.

Of course, he would mistake anything for sexual interactions, the guy can't even tell when someone is hugging him.

"We were just talking. Plus, the elevator is far from the dining area, you're a maniac."

"A maniac? Look, I'm not stupid Alina." Mateo stepped closer, leaving no space between the two of us, his addictive perfume making me feel dizzy. I couldn't do anything but hold the counter my ass percuted when I was stepping back. I felt his breath on my forehead and I closed my eyes as he took a strand out of my freshly made ponytail.

First Zack, now the jerk, I feel like a player.

In a second he pulled back. "See, your reaction shows that this situation could've easily been misinterpreted." He let go of my hair and stepped back causing my eyes to open briskly.

"You're wrong, I don't like you being this close to me." I cross my arms.

He crossed his arms as well leaning on the opposite counter." That makes two of us."

He stared at me for a few seconds. I roll my eyes at him. "Quit looking at me and go back to work."

"Shall I remind you who's the boss?"

"You're not my boss Mateo." I hit his torso with my rag which he grabs surprised by my movement.

I leave him there cursing myself for not pushing him away. This guy clearly always gets things the way he wants them, I'm gonna show him that's not how life works.

I head to the kitchen still needing to talk to Nour.

Before opening the kitchen door, an unknown feeling pushed me to look behind the counter I was held hostage in curiosity.

Mateo glanced away when I caught him eyeing me from afar.

I must be hallucinating now.