New Girl In Town

Evelyn entered her new home to find a large living room connected to a well-equipped but dusty kitchen. Even though it had been locked for nearly ten years, the house appeared to be cleaner than she had anticipated. She reasoned that Mr. Walker had probably asked someone to clean it. She walked Loki into the house and tried to put him on the sofa. Loki, being the picky cat that he is, refused to sit on a dusty sofa. "Loki, could you please just sit here, it's not that bad?" And Loki just meowed at her, as if irritated that she could expect that from him. "Fine, I'll cover it with a cloth for the time being, will you sit down?" Loki meowed in agreement. Evelyn walked to the car, Loki in one hand, his paws perched on her shoulder, to take a napkin from one of the bags. She placed it on the sofa, and Loki finally settled down.

She went outside to her car to retrieve all of the boxes. She could easily lift them all or compel someone to do so for her, but because she was trying to be the 'human' girl next door, she decided not to use her powers. She began bringing in the boxes one by one, acting as if they were heavy. "Well, here goes nothing," she thought as she sat next to Loki.

*************************************************

It was soon afternoon, and Evelyn was on her way out to get something to eat after giving Loki his afternoon snacks. She didn't need food to survive, but eating had become a habit she had developed over time. Elena called her as she approached her car, "Hey Evelyn, I thought you'd be hungry. Come join us for lunch. Aunt Jenna prepared Pasta." Evelyn considered saying no at first, but decided against it because this was an opportunity for her to bond with the people she was living with. "Thank you, Elena. I'll be there," she said, walking into the Gilbert house behind Elena.

Jeremy entered the kitchen as Evelyn did. Elena formally introduced them. "Jer, this is Evelyn, she just moved into Mr. Walker's house. And this is Jeremy, my brother." Evelyn shook his hand and smiled. They sat at the table as Jenna passed them their plates. "So, why did you decide to move to Mystic Falls?" Jenna inquired. "Well, I was alone in my house in North Carolina, and because so much was going on, I felt like I needed to be somewhere quiet and peaceful. And, to be honest, I just needed a fresh start away from my old, monotonous life in the city. Mystic Falls sounded interesting; I'd heard the people here are friendly and helpful, and it's only three hours from North Carolina if I am ever needed back" Evelyn replied with smile.

Elena seemed to want to ask something but held back, but she finally said, "So Evelyn, what about your family?" "My parents died last year, and I am an only child, so I was left alone after them," she replied, looking down. Elena placed her hand on Evelyn's shoulder and said, "You are not alone, you know. I understand your pain; our parents were killed in a car accident last summer. If you want to talk, I'm always available." Evelyn gave the girl a weak smile and began eating pasta.

They spent their time eating and talking, with Elena primarily discussing her family and people from Mystic Falls and Evelyn simply listening. Evelyn found Caroline to be interesting and someone she would like to be friends with based on what Elena said about her friends. She would sometimes just tune out Elena's conversation, lost in her own world full of plans for her life here.

*************************************************

Elena asked Evelyn to accompany her after lunch as she went to see her friends. Evelyn agreed to go with her, but first she went home to check on Loki. Both girls were soon in the park, waiting for the others. Elena introduced Evelyn to her entire group of friends. Caroline's bubbly, cheerful personality reminded Evelyn of one of her old besties, Bonnie, was warm and welcoming to her but got suspicious when she shook her hand and saw a glimpse of her past. Evelyn knew Bonnie was a witch, and she wanted to be on good terms with her. "Young, old, dead or alive, witches are a pain in the ass," she believed. Matt appeared to be a high school jock but was a softie, and to her, he was as harmless as food and would most probably end up being her food if he ever crossed her. Tyler was a jock with a good build; she was aware of the Lockwood bloodline and planned to keep Tyler as a friend because "it's better to have a werewolf fighting with you than against you." Finally, the Salvatore brothers, Stefan was nice, he asked her about her journey and how she was settling in, Damon on the other hand was a jerk, she knew Damon was highly sceptical about the new girl coming to town, his paranoia would take over soon. But Evelyn had nothing to worry about because if the time came, she could easily defeat Damon in a dual. In Vampire years, she was much older than the two boys.

All she needed to do now was keep her secret while manipulating the others to reveal the truth about supernaturals in Mystic falls to her. Till then she would continue to act ignorant about the vampires, witches and werewolves living around her.