3 - Mission Time

*+*Another Day Later*+*

When Espresso opens his door, he sees Madeleine waiting at the end of his walkway.

Madeleine smiles, "Good morning, Espresso!"

Espresso crosses his arms, "Hi."

Madeleine follows Espresso, "Oh! Gingerbrave told me to ask you if you would be interested in a mission a week from now."

"Hm.. I haven't gone on one in a while. When are they meeting to discuss it?"

"This afternoon, in the castle."

Espresso sighs, "Well, I suppose I can spare some time to show up."

Madeleine smiles more.

Espresso glares at him, then crouches down slightly to be eye level with him, "Why are you smiling like that?"

Madeleine blinks, then tilts his head slightly, "What do you mean?"

Espresso pulls the corners of Madeleine's mouth down so he's not smiling anymore.

When Espresso moves away from Madeleine and stands up to his full height, Madeleine's smile doesn't return immediately.

Espresso has a small smile, until Madeleine starts grinning again. Espresso groans, facepalming.

He starts walking again, "I hate that dumb smile of yours."

Madeleine chuckles, a hint of sadness to it, "You wouldn't be the first."

Espresso looks at him, "What?"

"What?"

"You.. You admitted that people don't like something about you."

"Why would anyone hate me? I'm the glorious Knight Commander! Madeleine Cookie!"

Espresso shakes his head, "Nevermind..."

When they reach the area away from other cookies, Madeleine stops talking. Espresso looks at him, "Madeleine?"

Madeleine shakes his head and his smile vanishes, "Sorry. Shall we continue?"

Espresso puts his hands on Madeleine's shoulders, staring at him, "What's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"You did this the day before yesterday. You stopped smiling as soon as there weren't other cookies around."

"You said you want me to stop smiling."

Espresso squeezes his shoulders slightly before letting go and continuing the walk.

When they finish, Madeleine smiles and waves goodbye before running off to finish up the patrol.

That afternoon, Espresso walks into the castle, specifically the room they have meetings in, only to see that Madeleine is also there.

He grumbles, but sits at the table.

The other cookies include Gingerbrave, Strawberry, Wizard, Custard the Third, Mint Choco, Raspberry, and Herb.