5 - Two Cups of Coffee

Madeleine's foot is healed now.

Espresso asks, "Do you want to take off your glove?"

"Why?"

"It's stained red."

Madeleine shakes his head, then leans against Espresso, "Can we go home?"

"You can go home on your own."

Madeleine leans on Espresso more, "But my foot still hurts."

"That is not my issue."

Madeleine looks up, his eyes sparkling, "Please?"

Espresso rolls his eyes, picking him up, "Fine!"

Espresso carries him home. When he sets Madeleine down, he gives the house keys back, "I have things to do, goodbye."

"Bye!"

Espresso goes home.

Madeleine closes the door behind himself. He looks at his sword, which has some blood on it. His gaze shifts to his stained glove.

He pulls his glove off and stares at his hand.

"Imperfections must be hidden."

He closes his fist and goes into his room, finding a new pair of gloves.

He sets his armor on the mannequin, then sets his shield on the stand. He picks up his sword and cleans it before putting it on its stand.

He goes into his room, looking at the mess.

"Clean it. Cleanliness is good."

Madeleine drags his feet as he starts picking up the shredded pictures, avoiding the broken mirror.

He shoves the shreds into a bag.

He picks up one small photo that didn't get shredded, probably because it was buried.

It's him smiling with a fan of his. He scrunches up his nose, "I remember them.. They made me uncomfortable."

He tears up the photo and shoves it in the bag as well.

Once his house is cleaned, he checks the time before putting his armor on, "Go outside. You need to show up so they aren't worried."

Madeleine takes a deep breath, makes sure he looks like he hasn't been crying for the past hour or so, then plasters his signature smile on his face before opening the door.

*+*Early Fall, about two months later*+*

Espresso walks out of his house.

"Good morning, Espresso!"

Espresso rolls his eyes, "Morning.."

The two start their morning walk together. It's a nice routine.

It's darker now, since the sun is starting to rise later and set earlier.